Goals and Objectives
Our educational goals in the Kingsport Family Medicine Program are to facilitate each residents growth as an individual and as a family physician and to:
- provide patient centered family medical care that is evidence-based
- prepare compassionate and verbally and competent family physicians who have a thorough foundation in the medicine, a well-developed sense of the art of medicine, and an integrative, collaborative approach to healing
- to expose students to the specialty of Family Medicine.
We emphasize evidence-based medicine and appraisal along with effective communication
skills, quality improvement processes,
and scholarly investigation to improve patient safety and provide quality medical care.
- Patient Care
- Development of skills in the approach to the patient as a while person with emphasis on wellness and health promotions.
- Development of knowledge, skills, and attitudes regarding data collection and record keeping as tools of patient care.
- Development of knowledge of diagnostic and therapeutic modalities employed in family medicine.
- Medical Knowledge
- Development of knowledge, skills, and attitudes in diagnosis and management of patient problems.
- Development of skills in problems solving.
- Interpersonal and Communication Skills
- Enhancement of communication skills.
- Development of knowledge, skills, and attitudes in caring for the family as a unit.
- Development of knowledge, skills, and attitudes concerning the community.
- To respect diversity of culture and spirituality.
- Practice-Based Learning and Improvement
- Commit to life-long learning.
- Develop self-understanding and promote personal growth.
- Develop skills in reaching and maintain a personal sense of wellness and balance.
- Promote family medicine research.
- Consolidate appreciation of family medicine as a career.
- To practice medicine with integrity.
- To promote autonomy while encouraging teamwork.
- To balance personal and professional lives.
- Systems-Based Practice
- Learning about consultation and referral.
- Enhance knowledge of organizational and management issues.
- Foster skills in the use of health care teams.
- To advocate for patients at all times.
- To participate actively in the community.