Application and Qualifications
Step closer to your dream!
Qualifications and Requirements
At the time of application, all study abroad applicants are expected to meet the following requirements:
- 2.5 GPA*
- A minimum GPA of 2.5 is required to study abroad through an ETSU program. If you do not meet this requirement, please let us know and we can help you find a direct enrollment opportunity. We are here to help, not to judge!
- *Some programs or individual classes require a GPA higher than 2.5, so you should check each program carefully before applying.
- Good Academic Standing
- To enroll in a study abroad program, a student must maintain a good academic standing. During the application process, students give permission to the University to review their disciplinary records.
- Sophomore Standing
You must be at least a sophomore in order to participate in study abroad. This means you may study abroad as early as the summer after your freshman year! For transfer students, you must complete at least one semester at ETSU before studying abroad.
- Financial Requirements
- No minimum financial requirements are needed to be able to apply for a study abroad program. Many times, financial aid and scholarships are applied to tuition even when studying in another country! Out of state students receive in-state tuition while studying abroad, as well.
- Interview (some programs)
- Faculty Recommendation Letter (some programs)
The study abroad team will be able to answer program specific questions and discuss program costs, financial aid and available scholarships.
Please note: deadlines are early! We recommend assessing program deadlines prior to selection a semester of study.
Please Note: You are REQUIRED to attend an interest session before you apply to a program through the ETSU Study Abroad Portal. However, if you are going to be going on an ETSU Faculty-Led trip it is not required as the faculty leader will likely have their own type of informational session.
- Review Qualifications
- Attend one of our required Interest Sessions
- *If you are planning on attending an ETSU Faculty-Led trip, you are exempt from attending an interest session.
- Research and decide how you would like to study abroad
- On the Bucs Abroad Portal, click on the term (Summer/Winter, Semester) you would like to study abroad for
- Research and find the program that fits in with your schedule, courses, interests, etc.
- Meet with Advisors
Apply on Bucs Abroad Portal by Deadline:
- Visit Bucs Abroad Portal
- Click on the program you're interested in and click "Apply Now"
- Submit all the following documents prior to the deadline:
- $32 Application Fee
- Agree to Disciplinary Record terms
- Submit general application questionnaire
- Submit transcripts onto the Bucs Abroad page
- Recommendation if applicable
- Apply on Program Webpage by their Deadline
Await an email from Study Abroad about a follow up interview after application
- After the interview, you will be informed of either an acceptance or rejection
- Visit Bucs Abroad Portal
Apply to the university or program website where you will be studying abroad after you are accepted by ETSU.