Qualifications & Application
The Global Citizen Scholars program invites 25 oustanding scholars to join our program
The Global Citizen Scholars application for Fall 2023 is open. Please note that after the first-round applications are vetted, we will invite finalists to a Global Citizen Scholars Interview Day on January 28th, 2023.
To be considered for admission, all applicants must provide evidence of:
- ACT of 26 or higher superscore (without the writing score) or comparable SAT superscore
- High school GPA of 3.5 or higher on a 4.0 unweighted scale
- Proof of leadership, service, work, and/or extracurricular engagement
- Demonstrated interest in experiential learning activities, particularly education abroad
- Two excellent application essays that demonstrate curiosity, global awareness, and an interest in Honors education and the GCS program (see prompts below)
- Strong academic references
The admissions process requires both an initial application demonstrating these qualifications and an interview for finalists.
- Currently enrolled ETSU students, transfer students, non-degree seeking students, graduate students, and second baccalaureate degree students are not eligible for this program.
- If you are graduating from high school with dual enrollment credit or an Associate Degree earned at the same time, you will be considered an incoming freshman by ETSU and you are eligible for the GCS program.
If you have questions about your eligibility to apply for the ETSU Global Citizen Scholars Program or the application submission process, please Contact Us.
- You must complete the general application for admission to ETSU for Fall 2023.
For more information concerning the ETSU admission process, please visit the Admissions How to Apply web page. To be eligible for the GCS program, you must be enrolling at ETSU as an incoming first-year student in the fall.
- Review the minimum qualifications (see above) for admission to the Global Citizen Scholars program to make sure you are eligible. Your GPA and ACT or SAT superscore will be verified with ETSU admissions.
- Gather the information you need to apply. You will need:
- Your basic personal and academic information.
- A resume detailing your educational and extracurricular accomplishments. Potential sections include scholastic honors, extracurricular activities (including sports and arts), volunteer service, and work experiences. Please clearly indicate any leadership activities or positions.
- Two to three application essays (approximately 500-750 words each). The reviewers
will be looking for the following in your essay: originality and creativity; strong
point or argument; evidence of care, effort and clarity; essay organization, grammar,
structure and language. The essay prompts are located in the application system --
please see link below.
- Contact information only (name, title, and email addresses) for your two academic references. Choose individuals who know you well, particularly in terms of your academic achievement, your potential for honors work at the university, and your ability to work with others, persevere, and distinguish yourself. Faculty members and counselors are particularly able to address your abilities in these areas. You do not need to have the reference letters in hand at the time of application.
In addition to the application packets submitted by December 15th, finalists for the Global Citizen Scholars programs will be invited to Global Citizen Scholars Interview Day on January 28th, 2023.