- Benefits & Opportunities
- The Academic Experience
- Qualifications & Application
- Special Opportunities
- Program Faculty
- Prospective Students
- Student Spotlights
- Alumni, Donors & Friends
- Useful Links
- Honors Home
- Contact Us
The University Honors Scholars program accepts 22 scholars and
two alternates (without UHS scholarship) each year for fall matriculation.
The application deadline is December 15th each year.
The application for Fall 2019 has closed. The application for Fall 2020 admission will be live on August 1st, 2019.
To be considered for admission, all applicants must provide evidence of:
- ACT of 29 or higher composite (without the writing score) or
comparable SAT score;
- High school GPA of 3.5 or higher on a 4.0 unweighted scale;
- Community and school service and other leadership activities;
- Commitment to pursue a 4-year baccalaureate degree at
ETSU's Johnson City campus.
- Currently enrolled ETSU students, transfer students, non-degree seeking students,
and second baccalaureate degree students are not eligible for this program.
- If you are graduating from high school with dual enrollment credit or an Associate
Degree earned at the same time, you will be considered an incoming freshman by ETSU
and you are eligible for the UHS program.
- We will not accept December ACT/SAT scores
If you have questions about your eligibility to apply for the ETSU University Honor
or the application submission process, please Contact Us.
1. You must complete the general application for admission to ETSU. For more information concerning the application process for admission to ETSU, please visit the Admissions How to Apply web page. To be eligible for the UHS program, you must be enrolling at ETSU as an incoming first-year student in the fall.
2. Make sure to review the minimum qualifications (see above) for admission to the
UHS Scholars Program
to make sure you are eligible. Your GPA and ACT scores will be verified with ETSU admissions.
3. Gather the information you need to apply. This is important as the application must be submitted as one document. You will need:
- Your basic personal and academic information
- Information for the online resume form, including:
- Scholastic Honors
- School-related extracurricular activities, including years involved, offices held, roles, and achievements
- Community volunteer service, including years involved, offices held, roles, and achievements
- Other activities (sports, arts, etc.)
- Work experience
- A formal Cover Letter to the University Honors Scholars Review Committee that includes why you are interested in becoming an ETSU University Honors Scholar, relevant skills and knowledge that make you an exceptional candidate for this program, how you will benefit from the program, and how you will contribute to the program.
Your one-page Application Essay. The reviewers will be looking for the following in your essay: originality and creativity; strong point or argument; evidence of care, effort and clarity; essay organization, grammar, structure and language. The 2020 essay prompt will be available August 1st, 2019.
- Contact information (email) for your three academic references. We recommend contacting your references ahead of time to ensure that they are willing and able to provide a reference. Once you apply, a reference form will automatically be sent to your references by the email addresses you provide. All three of your references will have to complete this form and return it to us before the application deadline for your application to be considered complete. For this reason, be sure to submit your portion of the application well in advance of the December 15th deadline.