Staff Senate Committees
Candy Massey, President
Joy Fulkerson, Vice-President
Anthony Johnson, Secretary
Crystal Maupin, Treasurer
Lisa Booher, Member-at-Large
Stefanie Murphy, Immediate Past President
The President shall be the presiding officer of the Senate, shall chair the Executive
Committee, and shall be an ex officio member of all other Senate Committees.
The Vice-President shall substitute for the President in his/her absence, assume all
duties of that office in the President’s absence, and serve in other capacities as
the President may direct. The Vice-President elected to serve during the second or
announced final year of the President’s term shall serve with the expectation of ascending
to the office of the President with the next election for a full two-year term. Should
the senate term of the Vice-President end prior to assuming the duties of the Presidency,
his/her term will be extended one year.
The secretary shall perform the following duties:
- Serve as recording secretary at all regular or special meetings of the Senate;
- Keep the official attendance records of all meetings;
- Prepare and maintain the official membership list of the Senate.
The Treasurer shall perform the following functions:
- Compile and maintain all records of financial transactions involving the Senate;
- Make monthly financial reports to the Senate at large;
- Prepare annual financial statement to be submitted to the President of the University.
Member at Large:
The Member at Large represents the Senate membership and communicates their issues, needs, and interests, particularly those that arise outside of the Standing Committee structure, to the Executive Committee. They conduct projects to further the goals of the organization or to develop services for the membership and also may serve as chair of any ad hoc committee formed to develop these projects. Additionally, the Member at Large acts as a stand-in for any Executive Committee member that cannot fulfill their role. An effective Member at Large identifies potential problems and opportunities in and for the Senate, works effectively towards common goals as Senate team member, and develops action plans for selected and/or assigned Senate projects. In addition, the Member at Large will serve as the Staff Senate historian and liaison between Staff Senate and Archives of Appalachia. This duty includes keeping a record of all Staff Senate activities and submitting such records to the Archives of Appalachia on an annual basis. Records can include, but are not limited to, official attendance records and minutes of regular monthly meetings of staff senate, official membership list of the Senators, records of financial transactions, annual financial statement submitted to the President of the University, records of the senate's accomplishment and activities for the year, newspaper clippings, photos, printed programs, and flyers, or any other items of interest related to Staff Senate activities.
Committee on Staff Concerns
The committee on Staff Concerns studies and reviews university policies including, but not restricted to, such things as: staff salaries and benefits and staff personnel policies including those related to appointments, promotion, and dismissal. The committee also acts as an appeals agency for senator terminations.
Chair: Emily Redd
Committee on Staff Senate Elections
The committee on Staff Senate Elections is charged with the following responsibilities:
- Formulating a standardized procedure for elections to the Senate;
- Supervising the conduct of said elections;
- Conducting the annual election of Staff Senate officers and of the elected members of the Executive Committee;
- Ruling on the eligibility of nominees and voters;
- Formulating a standardized procedure for receiving nominations for Senate and other offices.
Chair: Anthony Johnson
Committee on Staff Development and Evaluation
The Committee on Staff Development and Evaluations is concerned with staff developmental activities such as training and evaluation. The committee assists in formulating workshops and training seminars as well as providing information about outside training programs.
Chair: Chasity Drew
Committee on Committees
Staff Senate Committee on Committees ETSU has a number of University Standing Committees which can be viewed at https://www.etsu.edu/universitycommitees/ccommittees/standing/default.aspx. Staff members who serve on committees are appointed by the President to serve a three year term. Each year, vacancies occur and that is when the work begins for the Staff Senate Committee on Committees. It is the responsibility of the Staff Senate Committee on Committees to find representatives to fill vacancies on the various University Standing Committees at the end of each academic year. Each spring, a representative from the Office of the President sends the Chair of the Committee on Committees a list of vacancies to be filled by the Committee on Committees.
Chair: Stefanie Murphy
Communications and Website Committee
The committee shall be charged with the following responsibilities:
- Maintaining the Staff Senate website with current activities, updated rosters, and current photographs;
- Utilizing various means of communication (campus mail, Accent - the campus newsletter, University Relations staff, etc.) to inform the campus and local communities of Staff Senate activities, elections, and other appropriate news items concerning the Senate;
- The chair of this committee shall be listed as the web manager for the Staff Senate's website and shall serve as the primary point of contact for those interested in the Senate's activities.
Chair: Amanda Mowell
Vice Chair: Emily Redd
Community and Benevolence Committee (CBC)
The Staff Senate Community Benevolence Committee (CBC) is responsible for coordinating and promoting the annual Holiday Drive. The committee coordinates with the faculty, students and staff to help gather food and monetary donations to be used during the holidays. The committee volunteers organize and distribute the donations to various ETSU employees and members of the community. Afterwards the committee chair reports back to the Senate the success of the drive and the number of baskets that were donated.
The goal of the CBC is to promote stewardship among the ETSU campus and the community.
Chair: Jennifer Mayberry
Vice Chair: Crystal Maupin
Committe for Review of Staff Awards Process
The Staff Awards Committee is charged with reviewing, updating, editing and administering the application processes of both the Distinguished Staff Awards and the Staff Career Award.
The committee is responsible for ensuring information is made available for update of the Staff Senate web page.
The goal of the Staff Awards Committee is to ensure the most efficient and transparent process possible, up to and including the selection of award recipients.
Chair: Tory Street
The Staff Senate Liaison Committee will give the Staff Senate the ability to be involved with those entities, both internal and external, that may directly or indirectly impact the staff at ETSU and gives the Staff Senate the insight to help affect change if need be.
The duties of the Staff Senate Liaison Committee are as follows:
- To maintain open lines of communication with the Faculty Senate, Student Government Association, and University Counsel but not limited to:
- Will attend on Faculty Senate Meeting per month;
- Will maintain contact with SGA Legislative and Executive Branches on a regular basis;
- Will maintain contact with University Counsel in those instances where there are inquiries of a legal nature;
- Will enable the Staff Senate to maintain open lines of communication with the State of Tennessee elected officials for our region on those matters pertinent to the ETSU staff;
- Track legislation that may affect the ETSU staff.
Chair: Joy Fulkerson
The Visibility Committee will bring ETSU awareness to the Staff Senate by senators being accessible to the campus community throughout the year by attending various campus functions as well as sponsored special events that are non-legislative in nature.
Vice Chair: Crystal Maupin
Blood Drive Committee
The Staff Senate Blood Drive Committee is responsible for scheduling, coordinating and promoting the annual Staff Senate Blood Drive. The committee coordinates activities in preparation for the event. Senators then volunteer during blocks of time the day of the drive to serve in various capacities, including check-in, donation education and refreshments. Afterward, the committee chair reports back to the senate the success of the drive and number of units of blood collected.The goal of the Staff Senate Blood Drive Committee is to promote campus community stewardship among staff, faculty and students, and increase the awareness of the need for blood donation across the ETSU campus.
Chair: Joy Fulkerson
The Picnic Committee is responsible for planning and implementing the annual ETSU Staff Picnic. The group meets month prior to the event to set the date, contact vendors about door prizes, choose the food and location, and coordinate event activities. Senators work in various capacities leading up to the event and during the event to provide food, music, and entertainment for the 300-500 staff members that attend the event each year. This event is a time to appreciate the ETSU Staff members for all they do to make the university run efficiently and effectively.
The goal of the Picnic Committee is to show appreciation to all ETSU staff members through an annual picnic event in which the staff can be recognized and fellowship with other staff members.
Chair: Crystal Maupin