Mission Statement: Empower students, alumni, and additional stakeholders by educating them through flexible services and resources to enhance their quality of life.
Vision Statement: Build a culture of career readiness that is essential to the ETSU experience and empower students to live the lives they design.
Disclaimer: University Career Services (UCS) at East Tennessee State University makes no representations or guarantees, but applies due diligence and care in the research and approval of positions posted on our career management system, Handshake, listed on our website, or distributed by any other means. We are not responsible for the safety, wages, working conditions, or other aspects of employment. We strive for accuracy at the time of posting. All users of our information must take personal responsibility when obtaining employer information, accepting interviews, or positions offered.
Additionally, UCS makes every reasonable effort to assist ETSU students and alumni who request our services for help in reaching their career goals, yet each individual has the ultimate responsibility to obtain their goals of employment, internships, or graduate school admission. Please direct questions or comments related to this disclaimer to email@example.com.
Dr. Jeffrey Alston
Tell about where you are from: Louisburg, NC. Have lived in Charlotte, NC; Memphis, TN; Baltimore, MD; Rochester, NY; and now Johnson City, TN.
Tell about how you ended up at ETSU University Career Services: Formal recruitment process. Wanted to move closer to home, and ETSU checked a lot of the boxes I was looking for in terms, of school size, students, opportunity and geography.
Tell about your education: Doctorate of Education: University of Rochester; Master of Business Administration: Morgan State University; Bachelor of Arts: Winston-Salem State University.
Tell about something you do outside of UCS—outside of ETSU: Travel!!! MY favorite city I have visited so far is Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. I have been here four times. I am also a reader and big movie buff. I particularly enjoy Golden Globe and Oscar season.
- What is your favorite part of working for ETSU University Career Services? Helping students take the next step toward launching their careers.
- What is your favorite movie? Love Jones
- What is your favorite book? Shoe Dog = Phil Knight
- What type of music do you listen to? R&B, House, 90’s & early 00 hip-hop, Gospel, Jazz
- What is your favorite food? My mother’s Fried Pork Chops
- What hobbies do you have? Reading, traveling, going to the movies
- What did you want to be when you grew up? CEO of a Fortune 100 business
- If I could travel anywhere, I would go… EGYPT
Calvin B. Purvis
Tell about where you are from: Kingsport, Tennessee
Tell about how you ended up at ETSU University Career Services: I was selected from a nationally advertised search. It was a full day interview. I met deans, senior division leaders, participated in a luncheon interview, made a classroom presentation, and answered questions from the community in an open forum. My instructional experience is from ETSU and Northeast State Community College. I am also an alumnus of the ETSU College of Business and Technology. Previously, I was cross-trained in retail bank management with First Virtinia Banks, Inc. at Falls Church, VA corporate headquarters then managed branches locally for TN Operations at Tri-City Bank and Trust Company.
Tell about your Education: M. A. - Applied Organizational Management from Tusculum University; B.B.A. in Finance, Concentration: Banking, Real Estate Certificate; Career Coaching Intensive Training (NACE Certificate); SHRM (Society for Human Resource Management) Certification Training (40 Hrs.); American Institute of Banking (Bank Management Credits)
Tell about something you do outside of UCS: Family activities, technology consulting, and community involvement. I am a lifetime member of the National Eagle Scout Association and gained additional leadership experience as a Board of Directors member with the Kingsport JAYCEES early in my career.
- What is your favorite part of working for ETSU University Career Services? Helping
others - Assisting students, alumni, faculty, staff, employers, and administrators
with career services needs and helping with career related planning and preparation.
I also enjoy sharing best practices and resources. I am involved with collaborative
work through TACE, NACE, and regional organizations.
- What is your favorite movie? Stargate
- What is your favorite book? Beacon Lights of History by John Lord (www.gutenberg.org - Project Gutenberg Library Online)
- What type of music do you listen to?
Alternative, Blues, Country, Electronic, Smooth Jazz, Pop, R&B / Soul, Rock, and World Music
- What is your favorite food?
American Southern/Soul, Italian, Mexican, Cajun
- What hobbies do you have?
Disc Golf, Camping, Hiking, Darts, Innovation, Recycling, Restorations, and Antiques
- What did you want to be when you grew up?
Healthy, Prosperous, and Happy - A person with many good friends and a positive workplace.
- If I could travel anywhere, I would go…
Touring National Parks and Canadian Scenic Areas
Executive Aide (Internship Coordinator)
Tell about where you are from: I was born in Inglewood, Los Angeles, California. We lived there until I was three
at which time we moved back to Southern Oregon where my father was raised. I lived
in Southern Oregon until 1985 at which time I moved to the Eastern United States.
I have lived in Atlanta, GA; South Central Missouri, and here in Johnson City, TN
since moving east.
Tell about how you ended up at ETSU University Career Services: When I graduated from ETSU with my bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Development (minor in Child & Family), I immediately went to work for a nonprofit organization that was under the umbrella of ETSU. In the next few years, it transitioned to a self-governing nonprofit and separated from ETSU. After working several years in the nonprofit sector, I felt the pull to return to ETSU and Career Services became my new ‘home’.
Tell about your education: I graduated ETSU with my bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood development (minor in Child and Family Studies) in May 2001. I just completed my Master of Professional Studies, concentration in Strategic Leadership graduating December 15, 2018.
Tell about something you do outside of UCS - outside of ETSU: I serve in my church, travel (love cruising both on the high seas and on our Harley), enjoy reading, and especially love spending time with my large family (children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren). I am a member of the Civic Chorale. We perform four concerts a year, two in the spring and two in the fall. Members are from all over this region and audition for placement in the chorale. We always need male voices, so if you are interested, I would be happy to connect you to the conductor for an audition.
- What is your favorite part of working for ETSU University Career Services? I really like the diversity of services we offer to our ETSU students and alumni. I love having one-on-one interaction with students and knowing that every day I am able to make a difference in their lives in some small way.
- What is your favorite movie? I love Hallmark movies! All of them! Several non-Hallmark movies I like are Willow, Kate and Leonardo’s Titanic, and David Bowie’s Labyrinth
- What is your favorite book? I like scriptures first and foremost. My leisure reading is Christian romance novels.
- What type of music do you listen to? I like relaxing music most of the time of any genre, but like kicking music (like Journey and Kansas) when I drive. Because my husband is a singer songwriter, his music is always being played. He says I am his muse.
- What is your favorite food? I currently have severe dietary limitations. My favorite foods from the past are grilled cheese sandwiches, ice cream and pizza, which I can no longer eat. My current favorite foods are now fresh fruit, salmon & coconut milk ice cream.
- What hobbies do you have? Computer graphics for my husband’s original music CD covers and special family projects.
- What did you want to be when you grew up? Teacher and mother
- If I could travel anywhere, I would go on an Alaskan Cruise