Compelling Personal Statement
This is the opportunity for you to tell your story. Why do you want to be a healthcare professional? What is your desire? What fueled your fire?
THINK ABOUT THE FOLLOWING
- Your abilities/skills and how you have demonstrated them throughout your life
- Your personality traits
- Major influences and/or mentors you have had throughout your life
- Short term and term goals as they relate to your story
ASK YOURSELF THESE QUESTION AS YOU SIT DOWN TO BRAINSTORM
- What is unique, distinctive, and/or impressive about my life story?
- What details of my life have shaped or influenced my goals?
- When did I become interested in this field?
- How have I learned about this field through research, classes, readings, seminars, work or other experiences, or conversations with people already in the field?
- What personal characteristics (e.g., integrity, compassion, persistence) do I possess that would improve my prospects for success in the profession?
- How have I demonstrated these characteristics?
- What are the most compelling reasons I can give for the admissions committee to be interested in me?
TIPS TO REMEMBER
- Unifying theme is key
- Give good examples and explanations
- Help your reader understand how the information is important
- Respond to the question(s) listed on the application
- Do not duplicate information already present in your application
- Be precise and concise
- Sometimes less is more
- Use "I" and speak from the first-person voice
- Avoid clichés
- Cover any questionable/controversial subjects
READY FOR THE INTERVIEW?
Once you’ve completed the application process, be sure to prepare for your interview.
For more help writing your personal statement, visit the ETSU Center for Academic Achievement.