skip to main content columnskip to left navigationskip to horizontal navigation

Physics & Astronomy

College of Arts & Sciences

There is a great demand for high school science teachers with undergraduate degrees in Physics. 

There are several routes by which you can become a high school teacher.

1) The standard route to a career in high school teaching is to obtain a Bachelor's degree with a major in Physics and a minor in Education.     As an Education minor, you will take teacher preparation courses at the same time you are taking the physics courses needed for the major.   Please contact one of the advisors for physics majors Dr. Mark Giroux (; 423-439-8684) or Dr. Beverly Smith (; 423-439-8418) to discuss this program.  You should also discuss this program with an advisor in the College of Education

2) A second option is to first obtain a Bachelor's degree in Physics, then obtain a Master of Arts in Teaching degree.  To learn about the ETSU Master of Arts in Teaching program, click here.

3) For strong students with a Bachelor's degree in Physics, it is sometimes possible to obtain a job as a high school teacher without the minor in Education and without the Master's in Education.   In the State of Tennessee, it is possible to obtain a transitional teaching license, which will allow you to work as a full-time teacher without having taken any education courses.   Click here for more information about this option. 

4) It is also sometimes possible to obtain a job teaching Physics at a private school with just the Bachelor's degree in Physics, without having taken Education courses.  One company that does placements of teachers in private schools is Carney, Sandoe, and Associates.  Note that there is no cost to submit an application through their site.  

 5) Other programs to check out include:

The Teach for America Program
The Teach Tennessee Program
The MATCH Teacher Residency Program
The New York City Teaching Fellows Program

Scholarships and other programs for physics majors wanting to become high school physics teachers include:

The Knowles Science Teaching Fellowships
Barbara Lotze Scholarships

Another program that may interest you is the Student Loan Forgiveness Program for  students who become teachers.

Two additional special program for people with Bachelor's degrees in Physics who want to become Physics teachers are:

The GSkyTeach program at Western Kentucky University
The Woodrow Wilson Teaching Fellowship

These both provide substantial stipends/fellowships for new physics graduates to attend  graduate programs in education to obtain masters degrees in teaching and teaching  certification.


icon for left menu icon for right menu