Summer and School Year Internship, Research Experience Programs, Scholarships and Awards for Undergraduates
Summer Programs, Co-op Programs, and Internships
- The ETSU Summer Research Fellowship Program
- The Noyce Summer Intern Program
- The Physics Ambassador Scholarship
- The NASA Tennessee Space Grant Scholarship
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships (SURF) at the National Institute of Standards (NIST)
- NSF Research Experience for Undergraduates Program
- Oak Ridge Higher Education Research Experiences
- IACMI Internships (Advanced Composition Manufacturing Institute)
- Summer Research Programs at the SETI Institute
- A link for NASA summer internships
- NASA Student Opportunities
- National Radio Astronomy Observatory Summer Research Program
- The RISE Research Internships in Science and Engineering: A program for US undergraduate science majors to spend a summer doing research in Germany. This includes students in Physics, as well as Biology, Chemistry, Geology, and Engineering.
- The APS/IBM Research Internship for Undergraduate Women
- Johns Hopkins Summer Internship program in Nanobiotechnology
- Summer Program at the Space Telescope Institute
- U.S. Department of Energy Programs: Undergraduate Internships and Pre-Service Teacher programs
- Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships: At Department of Energy Facilities
- The McNair Scholars program: has both summer and school year opportunities.
- Leadership Alliance Summer Research Early Identification Program
- Cornell University Astronomy summer program for undergraduates
- Summer program: NASA Glenn Academy for Space Exploration
- The Washington Center student internship program
- The St. Jude Children's Research Hospital student research program in biomedical and oncology research.
- Internship program with the National Computational Science Institute
- The University of Delaware Marine Sciences summer program
- The AmeriCorp program. Note that there are three separate programs in the AmeriCorp program: AmeriCorps State and National program, the AmeriCorps NCCC program, and AmeriCorps VISTA (note that the AmeriCorp VISTA program provides one-year internships for new graduates.)
- Student Internships at the FBI
- Research Experience Program in Material Science and Engineering at Yale University
- Research Experience for Undergraduate in Astronomy Program at Maria Mitchell Observatory
- Research Experience for Undergraduates in Physics and Astronomy at the University of Oklahoma
- Summer Internships at Homeland Security
- Other Internships and Jobs at the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Mickey Leland Energy Internships at the Dept of Energy, Office of Fossil Energy, for women and minorities who are currently enrolled in STEM majors
- Student Internships at Eastman Chemical Corporation
- Student Internships at Shodor
- Internships/Co-ops/Jobs at Lockheed-Martin
- Student Internships/Co-ops at Northrup-Grumman
- Pisgah Astronomical Research Institute (in North Carolina)
- University of Nebraska Internships: a wide variety of topics
- UNLV REU program in Physics and Astronomy
- Interdisciplinary Research in Computational Science Internships at Louisiana State University
- Summer program for undergraduates at the Medical College of Wisconsin
- Research Program at Marshall University in Computational Science (includes computational projects in Physics)
- Internships/jobs at BWXT (parent company for Nuclear Fuel Services in Erwin Tennessee): under `careers', search on `intern' or `physics' or `engineering'
- Student research programs at the University of Toronto: click here
- Summer student internships at the Army Research Lab (variety of topics)
- Duke Talent Identification Program (TIP)instructors/teaching assistants/etc
- Summer Research program through the Council on Undergraduate Research
- Study abroad programs in northern Norway, at the University Centre on Svalbad: these are school year programs, with deadlines of Oct 15 for the spring semester
and April 15 for the fall semester. They have courses in Geophysics which may be
of interest to physics majors.
For local opportunities, in addition to the The ETSU Summer Research Fellowship Program listed above, contact physics and astronomy faculty members in the dept for other possible summer research jobs in the department
- Summer internships in MechanoBiology at the University of Pennsylvania and Washington University in St. Louis
NASA Tennessee Space Grant ScholarshipsClick here for information about the NASA Tennessee Space Grant Scholarships
Submit applications to:
Dr. Beverly Smith
Dept of Physics and Astronomy
ETSU, Box 70652
Johnson City TN 37614
or in person to
fax to (423)-439-6905.
Awards, Scholarships, Grants, and other programs
- The STEM Community Outreach Scholarship for out-of-state students majoring in Physics, Mathematics, Geoscience, or Computer Science. Click here for more information and here for application forms.
- The McKee Scholarship: students must have GPA >= 2.5.
- The ETSU Research Discovery Program: These are Federal Work Study (FWS) or Academic Performance Scholarship (APS) positions in which a student works with a professor in a research environment. These positions can extend into the summer if the student is enrolled in summer classes and if work study money is available.
- ETSU Student/Faculty Collaborative Grants
- ETSU Honors-in-Discipline Scholarships
- Up to two $3000 annual scholarships can be offered per year per department as part of the ETSU Math and Science Scholars program. People receiving these scholarships are required to work 75 hours per semester (about 5 hours per week) tutoring developmental math students. Students in the University Honors, Honors-in-Discipline, Academic Performance Scholarship, or Roan Scholars program are not eligible for this program
- If you are thinking of becoming a science or math teacher, click here to learn about the government student loan forgiveness program for teachers.
- Barbara Lotze Scholarships for Future High School Physics Teachers, from the American Association of Physics Teachers
- The Teach For America program
- Fellowships through the Knowles Science Teaching Foundation
- Student grants from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for research projects in their `People, Prosperity, and Planet' program.
- Sigma Xi Student research grants (only costs of travel to research sites and purchase of equipment are allowed). Deadlines are March 15 and October 15.
- Federal Grants and Scholarships
- SMART Scholarships
- The APS Scholarship for Minority Undergraduate Physics Majors
- The M. Hildred Blewitt Scholarship: For women who are returning to physics careers after having had to interrupt those careers for family reasons
- The MESSENGER Scholarship
- The Marshall Scholarship (for students wanting to follow-up their undergraduate career with graduate school in Britian; note that students must apply in early September of their senior year).
- The Connect-123 Scholarship Program for International Study
- American Indian Graduate Center Scholarships (for both graduate students and undergraduates)
Undergraduate Research Conferences
- The Appalachian Student Research Forum: held at the Millennium Center in Johnson City in the Spring.
- The Southeast Conference for Undergraduate Women in Physics
- The Annual Summer and Winter Meetings of the American Association of Physics Teachers has undergraduate research sessions, where students can present their research. See their meetings listings for locations and dates.
- Gilman Scholarships, for ETSU Education Abroad