- Academic Programs
- Student Interviews
- Student Resources
- Contact Us
Summer and School Year Internship, Research Experience Programs, Scholarships and Awards for Undergraduates
Summer Programs, Co-op Programs, and Internships
- The ETSU Summer Research Fellowship Program
- NSF Research Experience for Undergraduates Program
- Oak Ridge National Laboratories Opportunities
- Oak Ridge Higher Education Research Experiences
- IACMI Internships (Advanced Composition Manufacturing Institute)
- Summer Research Programs in Astrobiology at the SETI Institute
- Department of Energy Internships (including Oak Ridge):
- SMART Internships/Scholarships
- A link for NASA summer internships
- NASA Student Opportunities
- National Radio Astronomy Observatory Summer Research Program
- The RISE Research Internships in Science and Engineering: A program for US undergraduate science majors to spend a summer doing research in Germany. This includes students in Physics, as well as Biology, Chemistry, Geology, and Engineering.
- The APS/IBM Research Internship for Undergraduate Women
- Johns Hopkins Summer Internship program in Nanobiotechnology
- Summer Program at the Space Telescope Institute
- Research Experience in Computational Astronomy and Physics at the Univ. of North Carolina Chapel Hill
- U.S. Department of Energy Programs: Undergraduate Internships and Pre-Service Teacher programs
- Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships: At Department of Energy Facilities
- The McNair Scholars program: has both summer and school year opportunities.
- Leadership Alliance Summer Research Early Identification Program
- Summer program: NASA Glenn Academy for Space Exploration
- The Washington Center student internship program
- The St. Jude Children's Research Hospital student research program in biomedical and oncology research.
- Internship program with the National Computational Science Institute
- Mass Media Internships for Science/Engineering Students (through the AAAS)
The University of Delaware Marine Sciences summer program
- The AmeriCorp program. Note that there are three separate programs in the AmeriCorp program: AmeriCorps State and National program, the AmeriCorps NCCC program, and AmeriCorps VISTA (note that the AmeriCorp VISTA program provides one-year internships for new graduates.)
- Student Internships at the FBI
- Research Experience Program in Material Science and Engineering at Yale University
- Research Experience for Undergraduate in Astronomy Program at Maria Mitchell Observatory
- Research Experience for Undergraduates in Physics and Astronomy at the University of Oklahoma
- Summer Internships at Homeland Security
- Other Internships and Jobs at the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Mickey Leland Energy Internships at the Dept of Energy, Office of Fossil Energy, for women and minorities who are currently enrolled in STEM majors
- Student Internships at Eastman Chemical Corporation
- Student Internships at Shodor
- Internships/Co-ops/Jobs at Lockheed-Martin
- NEW! Student Internships/Co-ops at Northrup-Grumman
- Army Corp of Engineers (search under `internship' and `physics').
- Pisgah Astronomical Research Institute (in North Carolina)
- University of Nebraska Internships: a wide variety of topics
- UNLV REU program in Physics and Astronomy
- Interdisciplinary Research in Computational Science Internships at Louisiana State University
- Summer program for undergraduates at the Medical College of Wisconsin
- Research Program at Marshall University in Computational Science (includes computational projects in Physics)
- Internships/jobs at BWXT (parent company for Nuclear Fuel Services in Erwin Tennessee): under `careers', search on `intern' or `physics' or `engineering'
- Student research programs at the University of Toronto: click here and here
- Summer student internships at the Army Research Lab (variety of topics)
- Duke Talent Identification Program (TIP)instructors/teaching assistants/etc
- Summer Research program through the Council on Undergraduate Research
- Study abroad programs in northern Norway, at the University Centre on Svalbad: these are school year programs, with deadlines of Oct 15 for the spring semester
and April 15 for the fall semester. They have courses in Geophysics which may be
of interest to physics majors.
For local opportunities, in addition to the The ETSU Summer Research Fellowship Program listed above, contact physics and astronomy faculty members in the dept for other possible summer research jobs in the department
NASA Tennessee Space Grant Scholarships
Pending funding, a number of NASA Tennessee Space Grant scholarships of $1250 each will be awarded for the Spring 2018 semester. This scholarship is primarily intended for Physics majors who are relatively early in their college careers. Students who receive this scholarship will be required to take the 1 credit hour course PHYS 1500: Research Methods during the Spring 2018 semester. Preference will be given to students who will be taking Calculus I, Calculus II, or Technical Physics II concurrently with PHYS 1500. Both academic promise and financial need will be considered in selecting recipients for these scholarships. Students must be officially declared as a Physics major to receive one of these scholarships, and must be able to take PHYS 1500 at its scheduled time to receive a scholarship.
Application Deadline: Friday November 2, 2018
Submit applications to:
Dr. Beverly Smith
Dept of Physics and Astronomy
ETSU, Box 70652
Johnson City TN 37614
or in person to
fax to (423)-439-6905.
Awards, Scholarships, Grants, and other programs
- The McKee Scholarship: Due October 5, 2009: students must have GPA >= 2.5.
- The ETSU Research Discovery Program: These are Federal Work Study (FWS) or Academic Performance Scholarship (APS) positions in which a student works with a professor in a research environment. These positions can extend into the summer if the student is enrolled in summer classes and if work study money is available.
- ETSU Student/Faculty Collaborative Grants
- ETSU Honors-in-Discipline Scholarships
- Up to two $3000 annual scholarships can be offered per year per department as part of the ETSU Math and Science Scholars program. People receiving these scholarships are required to work 75 hours per semester (about 5 hours per week) tutoring developmental math students. Students in the University Honors, Honors-in-Discipline, Academic Performance Scholarship, or Roan Scholars program are not eligible for this program
- If you are thinking of becoming a science or math teacher, click here to learn about the government student loan forgiveness program for teachers.
- Barbara Lotze Scholarships for Future High School Physics Teachers, from the American Association of Physics Teachers
- Awards and Scholarships through the Imaging and Geospatial Information Society
- The Teach For America program
- The Western Kentucky Program for Science/Math Majors interested in becoming teachers
- Fellowships through the Knowles Science Teaching Foundation
- Student grants from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for research projects in their `People, Prosperity, and Planet' program.
- Sigma Xi Student research grants (only costs of travel to research sites and purchase of equipment are allowed). Deadlines are March 15 and October 15.
- Federal Grants and Scholarships
- SMART Scholarships
- The APS Scholarship for Minority Undergraduate Physics Majors
- The M. Hildred Blewitt Scholarship: For women who are returning to physics careers after having had to interrupt those careers for family reasons
- The MESSENGER Scholarship
- The Marshall Scholarship (for students wanting to follow-up their undergraduate career with graduate school in Britian; note that students must apply in early September of their senior year).
- The Connect-123 Scholarship Program for International Study
Undergraduate Research Conferences
- The Appalachian Student Research Forum: held at the Millennium Center in Johnson City in the Spring.
- The Southeast Conference for Undergraduate Women in Physics (Jan 16 - 18, 2015)
- The Annual Summer and Winter Meetings of the American Association of Physics Teachers has undergraduate research sessions, where students can present their research. See their meetings listings for locations and dates.
- Gilman Scholarships, for Study Abroad