skip to main content columnskip to left navigation

Master of Arts in Teacher Education

Department of Curriculum and Instruction

Frequently Asked Questions
Type here to Filter Results reset filter
  1. Can I apply for the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) Teacher Education Program if I have a teaching license?Answer
  2. What exams are required for entry?Answer
  3.  How long is this program?Answer
  4. Can I work while I am in this program?Answer
  5. Is this program online?Answer
  6. What is a cohort?Answer
  7. How long is student teaching?Answer
  8. What should I do if my GPA is under a 3.0?Answer

Can I apply for the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) Teacher Education Program if I have a teaching license?
No, this program is for initial licensure only. If you have a teaching license you may want to consider a Masters in Education.

What exams are required for entry?
  • Praxis II exams:
  • If you are seeking middle school (6-8) licensure you must have a passing score on the Praxis II Middle Grades Science or Praxis II Middle Grades Mathematics.
  • If you are seeking secondary licensure you must have a passing Praxis II score in your content area
  • We do not require you to take any of the praxis core exams.
    The GRE exam is not required for this program.

 How long is this program?
  • The program can be completed in a timely manner but the Residency Year must be taken concurrently.
  • The one and 1/2 year program begins in January (Spring term).
  • The program can be completed at a slower pace for those who are in the job-embedded option (up to three years) or others that have valid reasons (up to six years). This option usually begins in the Fall term. 
  • For more information, please contact our office (email or call 423-439-7588) to determine which track would work best for you.

Can I work while I am in this program?
  • You can work while you are enrolled in this program except for the last spring semester where you will be student teaching full time.
  • While you can work outside of the school we suggest that you apply for a tuition scholarship, which requires you to work 8 hours a week and will cover your tuition, or a graduate assistantship, which requires you to work about 20 hours a week and covers your tuition and provides you with a monthly stipend.

Is this program online?
Between 30% and 40% of this program is online. You will have at least one in-person class every semester and will be placed in a school for observations and teaching each semester, so please keep that in mind.

What is a cohort?
Our program is a cohort based program, which means that everyone in your entering class goes through the entire program as a unit. Being in a cohort gives you the opportunity to grow with your peers and develop a unique bond and support system that goes past graduation.

How long is student teaching?
  • Most people think of student teaching in the traditional sense for one semester, being in the classroom everyday. In this program, you have field placements in public schools every semester.  
  • The Residency Year requires the following:
      • Your first first foundations course will require 20 hours of field placement where you will interact with the students and teacher, began observing classroom practices, and start adapting to the teacher role. The recommended course sequence allows you to complete the program within a reasonable time frame. (Spring, Summer, Fall, Spring)
      • During the summer II term you will complete 50 placement hours which will include classroom management, pre-residency year preparations, and welcoming the students at the beginning of the year.
      • During the fall semester, your formal evaluations will begin and your transitioning into the full time teacher role. This is the time where you become a vital part of the classroom.  You will complete 110 hours during this semester. 
      • During the final Spring semester, you are expected to be in the classroom everyday and take on the role of instructor and co-instructor with your mentor teacher.  

What should I do if my GPA is under a 3.0?
  • We do offer options for you to take required courses as a non-degree seeking graduate student to bring up your GPA.
  • Please contact our office to schedule a meeting with the program coordinator for more information.



icon for left menu icon for right menu