skip to main content columnskip to left navigation

Master of Arts in Teacher Education

Department of Curriculum and Instruction

Financial Assistance

For these types of financial aid, you must apply directly to a department, which will then consider your application. This process is much like applying for a job in a professional setting. You should email or hand-deliver your resume to the appropriate Executive Aides or Department Heads that correspond to where you wish to apply.

We can guide you through this process, but ultimate procurement is solely the student's responsibility. Nearly every MAT student that wishes to have a GA or TS can receive one, if their wishes are made known and the student applies.

You can find available positions posted online here, but many available positions may not be listed. It is best to check with any department you may be interested in directly.

  • Research assistants: The graduate research assistant will work under the supervision of a faculty mentor.
  • Administrative (graduate) assistants (GA): The graduate administrative assistant may work at the level of a department, college, or university administrative unit.
  • Tuition scholarships (TS): A tuition scholarship is a merit based award available to graduate students admitted to a graduate degree program for the first time.

Who qualifies for a graduate assistantship?

  • Only graduate students admitted to the School of Graduate Studies and accepted into a graduate degree program may hold an assistantship.
  • Graduate students who have previously taken graduate level courses must have at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA).
  • Graduate assistants must maintain a minimum cumulative 3.00 GPA to remain eligible for assistantship support.
  • International students are eligible for graduate assistantships as soon as they are unconditionally admitted as graduate students at East Tennessee State University.
  • Graduate assistants may be appointed for no more than two calendar years in a master's program.

How are tuition scholarships different from assistantships?

  • Tuition scholarship contracts are renewable, but must be consecutive. If a tuition scholarship student accepts a GA and performs those duties, then they cannot change back to a tuition scholarship. Tuition scholarships require that you work 8 hours a week, while most GA positions require that you work 20 hours a week.  Also, unlike GAs, TS students do not receive a monthly stipend. 

How do I apply for an assistantship?

  • We strongly encourage you to contact the department in which you would want to work and express your interest in a GA or TS. You may then view current vacancies by clicking on the Current List of Available GA & TS Positions, here

The U.S. Department of Defense offers a Troops to Teachers Program. Their mission is to "assist transitioning Service members to become employed as teachers; assist our Nation’s youth by providing good role models; assist schools by providing teachers in critical subjects (math, science, special education, foreign language, and career-technical) for needy schools."

For more information, please visit their website.



icon for left menu icon for right menu