The Middle Grades track is designed for students with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution who wish to be certified to teach grades 6-8. Course work in this program is specifically directed at teaching subjects in middle schools such as Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies. The recommended course sequence allows you to complete the program within a reasonable time frame. (Spring, Summer, Fall, Spring)
Middle Grades Teacher Candidates are required to be certified in two content areas, where at least one is in mathematics or science.
The options are as follows:
- Math and Science
- Math and Social Studies
- Math and English Language Arts
- Science and Social Studies
- Science and English Language Arts
Praxis II Required for Admittance to be certified in Middle Grades 6 - 8:
After August 31, 2019, Middle Grades mathematics applicants must submit passing scores (220 or higher) on the NES assessments for Middle and Early Secondary for Math grades 6-8 (Test Code # 105).
Middle Grades science applicants must submit passing scores (150 or higher) on the Praxis II Exam in Middle Grades Science 6-8 (Test Code #5440).
Only the math or science licensure exam is required for admittance into the program, but Praxis II content knowledge exam for your second selected content area must be passed before the Residency II (Spring) semester.*
- Middle Grades Science 6-8 (Test Code 5440)
- NES assessments for Middle and Early Secondary for Math grades 6-8 (Test Code # 105).
- Middle Grades English/ Language Arts 6-8 (Test Code 5047)
- Middle Grades Social Studies 6-8 (Test Code 5089)