Networks Connecting to ETSU Wi-Fi Networks
Below, you will find links to setup instructions for configuring your wireless interface for connectivity at ETSU. If you would like detailed information about the wireless network at ETSU then please see the Wireless Network Policy on the Information Technology Services main site. If you have basic questions about ETSU's Wi-Fi network then please see our ETSU WiFi Frequently Asked Questions page.
Available in all academic and administrative buildings
Available in all residence halls + many areas near edge of campus
Limited access to internal ETSU resources
Available in Residence Halls for TV's, gaming consoles & devices that don't connect to Resnet
ETSU, ETSUResnet, EDUROAM: Account Required
ETSU, EDUROAM and ETSURESNET wireless networks use domain authentication. In other words, connecting to ETSU's wifi service requires an ETSU username and password. You cannot connect to an ETSU wireless network without an authorized account. This is the same account that is used for most other ETSU services (email, D2L, GoldLink, etc.).
ETSU's MyDevices network is a supplemental wireless network available in the residence halls intended to connect devices that can't connect to the existing ETSUResnet wireless network. This network is used to connect things like gaming consoles, TV's, digital assistants, streaming devices, etc. Devices are allowed to connect to the MyDevices network based on the Devices ID (MAC address). Each student can connect up to 5 devices.
The MyDevices network is unsecured and unencrypted. Some devices will not connect to unsecured networks (e.g. Wyze cameras and lightbulbs). If your device requires you to provide a WiFi password to connect, it likely won't connect to this network.
Connection Instructions for Computers
Most ETSU-owned Windows computers that log on to the ETSU Domain will receive the SSID wireless configuration automatically. If you are not automatically prompted to login to ETSU or ETSURESNET Wireless Networks, plug the device into ETSU's network with a network cable and reboot so it can get the initial wireless configuration. If you are still not prompted to log into ETSU or ETSURESNET Wireless Networks at next reboot, choose the correct operating system listed below under ETSU owned machines and manually configure the device.
A device (gaming console, streaming box, digital assistant) must be registered using the My Devices portal before it's allowed to connect to the MyDevices network. Registration will require your ETSU username and password. The My Devices portal is a website where you can register and remove your devices. Each student may register up to five devices. Please follow the linked instructions below to connect your devices.
Troubleshooting Simple Connection Issues
Password Recently Changed
When you change your password for email, Goldlink, D2L or other ETSU services, you must remember to teach your wireless device your updated password. It does not matter whether you connect to ETSU or ETSURESNET Wireless Networks using a computer, a tablet, a mobile phone or any other wi-fi device; neglecting to update the password stored in your device WILL result in frequent account lock-outs from password failures.
Unable to connect
If you run into issues establishing a network connection to the wi-fi network, here are some simple steps to try that should help resolve the problem.
- Instruct the device to delete or “forget” ETSU or ETSURESNET.
- After removing ETSU or ETSURESNET, try connecting to ETSU or ETSURESNET again. If you are prompted to accept the security certificate, tap on the “Trust” link.
- If it still fails with your unsername and password combination, wait at least one minute and then try again.
- If it still fails, preface your username with “etsu/” or "etsu\".
If you are still unable to login, please contact ITS at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 439-4648 for additional assistance.
Generic Settings for Unsupported Devices
To connect an unsupported device to our wireless network, you can try using the following steps to manually configure your device. Some of these items may not apply.
- Make sure you are in an area where we have wireless coverage.
- The network names are ETSU and ETSURESNET Wireless Networks
- Configure your wireless device to connect using WPA2-Enterprise with AES encryption.
- The key is provided automatically when authenticating over 802.1x
- Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication
- EAP type is PEAP
- Phase 2 authentication is MSCHAPv2
- Uncheck "Validate server certificate" if applicable
- Passphrase is your domain password
- If there's an option to use the device's local login credentials for connecting wirelessly, uncheck that option.