We believe the best courses are developed through an intentional and thoughtful design process that includes the following steps:
- Determining student learning outcomes: What do you want your students to learn?
- Developing an assessment process: How will you know that your students have obtained these outcomes?
- Determining instructional strategies: What steps will you take to give students the opportunity to practice the skills you want them to learn, help them acquire these skills and/or abilities, or help them obtain or construct knowledge?
If you are developing an online or hybrid course, see the trainings, resources, and faculty development programs available through Academic Technology Services.
Course Design Guide
These materials come from course design expert L. Dee Fink. Dr. Fink presented this material at the first CHIIPs conference at ETSU in January 2018.
- A Self-Directed Guide to Designing Courses for Significant Learning
- Workshop Slides
- Workshop Pre-Reading
- 3-Column Table
- Writing Good Learning Goals
- Assessing Significant Learning
- Building a Weekly Schedule
- Understanding by Design by Grant P. Wiggins and Jay McTighe
- Course Calendar Template Spring 2021 MWF
- Course Calendar Template Spring 2021 TR