The Quillen College of Medicine (QCOM) believes that diversity enhances the educational environment and enriches the experience of the faculty, staff, and students. QCOM is committed to providing an educational experience that is respectful, equitable, and inclusive, while providing an environment in which students, faculty, and staff have the opportunity to thrive regardless of background and in which access, progress, and advancement are unhindered by bias or exclusion. Our primary mission is to educate future physicians - especially those with an interest in primary care and a desire to practice in underserved rural communities. Fulfillment of this mission requires us to prepare our students to practice in a variety of cultural and social contexts and to understand how issues such as socioeconomic status, systemic bias, identity, and geography affect an individual’s or community’s ability to obtain appropriate medical care. Thus, we believe it is critically important to support the value of diversity and inclusion throughout the college via functions including pipeline programs, student recruitment and admissions, faculty and staff development, hiring and promotion practices, and community engagement.
The Functions of the Council include:
- Assessment of the Diversity Culture and Climate at QCOM.
- Implementation and monitoring of institutional diversity plan.
- Develop data collection tools to monitor the institutional diversity profile annually and to ensure achievement of diversity goals.
- Review current recruitment and retention efforts and identify opportunities to enhance diversity.
- Develop and recommend initiatives, programs, policies and practices to promote diversity among students, residents, faculty, and administration.
- Coordinate activities with university diversity/affirmative action programs.
QCOM Diversity and Inclusion Policy