The ETSU Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology prides itself on equipping medical students and residents to provide high quality, comprehensive care for our patients. In addition to the care provided by our attending physicians, resident physicians and nurse practitioners, we also enjoy input from case managers and experts in nutrition and lactation. Our Medication Assisted Therapy Program is a trailblazing initiative that provides prenatal care, medication assisted therapy, case management and psychological support all in one setting. Beginning in April 2022, integrated behavioral health care from a licensed psychologist will also be available to all of our patients.
Medical education is a priority of the department. We excel in sending our residency program graduates into the underserved communities who need them. Our residency program is fully accredited by the American Council on Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). Training is provided by ETSU faculty physicians and community-based OB/GYN physicians.
Research is another pillar of our academic OB/GYN department. All resident physicians participate in at least one research project with their faculty mentors. Our research coordinator works with both faculty and residents to navigate institutional review board (IRB) requirements and other obligations. Additionally, assistance in statistical analysis is available from the College of Medicine.
Your interest in our department is appreciated.
Aleksandr M. Fuks, MD
Our Goal and Mission:
The goal of our department is to improve the well-being and physical health of all women of Northeast Tennessee and the surrounding Southern Appalachia area. Key to achieving our goal is our stated mission of educating the next generation of physicians and health care providers — medical students and residents.
To accomplish our mission, the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and its residency program is dedicated to:
- Training future OB/GYN physicians in the art of administering empathetic and efficient
medical care to all women in the region, regardless of age.
- Providing primary as well as advanced fellowship-trained subspecialty Obstetric and
Gynecologic care to all women in all segments of our region.
- Utilizing our abilities to conduct research and scholarly activity that enhances our evidence-based knowledge to bring superior primary care to all of our patients.
To advance the health care of the community and the region, the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology relies upon:
- Active clinical services across the width and depth of the discipline of Obstetrics
and Gynecology located in superb clinical sites in the region.
- State-of-the-art simulation facilities utilized by all faculty, residents and medical
- Clinical research opportunities with an emphasis on quality improvement projects as
well as publishable articles.
- Protected time for didactics for our faculty, residents and medical students.