Dr. Huffaker, faculty and Urogynecologist, takes a break from a Pelvic Reconstruction
Workshop for OB residents. Photo by Allison Wallace VanCamp.
WELCOME TO ETSU DEPARTMENT OF OB/GYN
With this website, it is our desire to provide health care professionals and patients alike an opportunity to learn about the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Quillen College of Medicine (QCOM) located at East Tennessee State University (ETSU). Whether you are a referring healthcare provider, a prospective resident, a medical student, or a patient, it is our intent to give an understanding of our goal, as well as our mission through the pages of this site. Surrounded by the natural beauty of upper East Tennessee, Southwest Virginia, and Western North Carolina and nestled in our vibrant community, our faculty, resident staff, and clinical personnel find the delivery of up-to-date health care both rewarding and fulfilling. We invite you to spend a few moments learning about our Department, our faculty, our residents and our dedicated work. WELCOME!
OUR GOAL AND OUR MISSION
The goal of our ETSU/QCOM Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology is to improve the well-being and physical health of all women of Northeast Tennessee and the surrounding Southern Appalachia area. Key to achieving our goal is our stated mission of educating the next generation of physicians and healthcare providers - medical students and residents. To accomplish our mission, the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology with its Residency Program is dedicated to:
- Training future OB/GYN physicians in the art of administering empathetic and efficient
medical care to all women in the region regardless of age.
- Providing both primary as well as advanced fellowship trained subspecialty Obstetric
and Gynecologic care to all women in all segments of our region.
- Utilizing our abilities to conduct research and scholarly activity that enhances our evidence-based knowledge to bring superior primary care to all of our patients.
To advance the healthcare of the community and the region, the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology relies upon:
- Active clinical services across the width and depth of the discipline of Obstetrics
and Gynecology located in superb clinical sites in the region.
- State-of-the-Art simulation facilities utilized by all faculty, residents, and medical
- Clinical research opportunities with an emphasis on quality improvement projects,
as well as publishable articles.
- Protected time for didactics for our faculty, residents, and medical students.
T. Watson Jernigan, MD, MA
Interim Chair & Professor
More Information on Dr. Jernigan