International Field Experience
The Public Health International Field Experience program is available to College of Public Health undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students who have:
- Met all the academic requirements to enroll in one of the Public Health Field Experience/Practicum courses.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.5 (graduate) or 3.0(undergraduate).
- Completed scholarship application must be received no later than ninety daysprior to the anticipated start of the international field experience.
- Completed and submitted the ETSU International Education Scholarshipapplication to the Honor’s College.
- Have at least one other student traveling to the same destination. (This will be confirmed by the Field Placement Coordinator.)
- Check the ETSU College of Public Health website for information regarding international field experiences and related forms.
- Check the U.S. Department of State Current Travel Warnings for your intended destination (If your destination is on the list, it will not be approved.
- Apply for a passport if you don’t already have one. If you have a passport, check the expiration date and make sure your name hasn’t changed(example marriage) and that it will still be valid when you return.
- Determine if you have to have a visa to enter your country of destination. If so, apply for it through the embassy of your country of destination.
- Check the CDC’s list of recommended vaccinations for your destination and get them. If you have had vaccinations previously, make sure they are current. You must also have an international travel medical examination.
- Apply for the available international studies scholarships through both the College of Public Health and Honors College.
- Get travel insurance that includes emergency medical evacuation. See the Honor’s College for suggested companies.
- Read up on the culture, history, and current health overview of your destination country. Be aware of cultural mores.
- Find an international packing list and start making sure you have all you need to pack. Be alert to anticipated environmental conditions (weather, altitude, etc.)
- Check the TSA and FAA regulations for international flights and make sure you have luggage etc. that complies.
- Determine financial feasibility in covering associated expenses.
Frist Global Health Scholars
In 2004, Senator Bill Frist established the nonprofit organization Hope Through Healing Hands. The purpose of Hope Through Healing Hands is to promote and increase quality of life for citizens and communities “using health as a currency for peace.” Hope Through Healing Hands addresses these issues by sponsoring global health programs including the Frist Global Health Leaders program. The Frist Global Health Leaders program provides students with the opportunity to travel to underserved countries around the globe and to improve the health of people living in those countries.
Established in 2001, the Niswonger Foundation is the brainchild of businessman and philanthropist Scott M. Niswonger, who remains the Foundation's sole benefactor. He and his wife, Nikki, started with a dream of preparing East Tennessee for the 21st
century and the changes it would bring. The Niswonger Foundation is a contributing partner of the Frist Global Health Leaders program at ETSU College of Public Health.
The Frist Global Health Leaders program may provide up to $2,500 per selected stu-dent. This amount cannot exceed 80% of the total expenses for the international field experience. Students will be responsible for the remaining 20% of total expenses.
The Wykoff Public Health Student Scholarship
In honor of his mother and father who inspired in him a passion and commitment to global health, Dean Randy Wykoff created the Wykoff Public Health Student Scholarship for international experiences.
This fund is to be used to support international experiences for students pursuing a graduate degree in the College of Public Health by providing up to two $500 scholarships per year. The funds are to be used to help off-set international travel and related costs for graduate students participating in organized and approved field placement programs as part of their formal academic training.
Preference is given to students from Tennessee who have had little or no international field work experience. Please see the Assistant Dean of Public Health Practice for more