- Faculty and Staff
- News and Events
- Lecture Series
- Research and Centers
- Recent Publications
- CVD Appalachia
- Tobacco Policy
- Center For Prescription Drug Abuse Prevention and Treatment
- Tennessee Institute of Public Health
- Center for Rural and Appalachian Health
- Skin Cancer Prevention Lab
- Obesity Research
- Project EARTH
- Household Air Pollution and COPD Study
- Women's Health
- Contact Us
educationDrPH Epidemiology (2011) East Tennessee State University
MPH Epidemiology (2008) East Tennessee State University
MD Medicine (2004) Wuhan University of Science and Technology
- Epidemiology I (EPID 5400)
- Epidemiology II (EPID 5405)
- Advanced multivariate analysis (EPID 6410)
- Applied epidemiology analysis (EPID 6420)
- Doctor Public Health Dissertation (EPID 6960)
- Graduate Research (EPID 5029)
- 2017, ISCEP fellow (selected for the 49th Ten Day International Teaching Seminar on Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology and Prevention, Bandar Sunway, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia June 5 – June 16 2017)
- 2016-, Founding President. International Chinese Nutrition Young Scholar Network (ICNYSN)
- 2016-, Director of Public Relations (2016-2018). China Health Policy and Management Society (CHPAMS)
- 2016-2017, Chair of Public Relation Committee, Chair of Webinar Committee, North American Chinese Society for Nutrition (NACSN)
- 2016, The 3rd Westlake Summer Youth Forum on Health Policy and Systems Sciences (HPSS) Travel Fellowship Award
- 2016, North American Chinese Society for Nutrition (NACSN) Outstanding Leadership and Service Award
- 2015-, Editorial Board member for China Health Review
- 2015-, Leadership team member for North American Chinese Society for Nutrition (NACSN)
- 2015, Commentator for The 2nd Westlake Summer Youth Forum on Health Policy and Systems Sciences (HPSS) with Travel Fellowship Award, Hangzhou, June 15-19, 2015
- 2015, Guest speaker for the 12th China National Nutrition Science Congress, Beijing, May 16-18, 2015
- 2015, Invited honorable speaker and judger for awards competition for the 1st International Congress on Childhood Obesity and Hypertension, Beijing, China, May 29-31, 2015
- 2014, Faculty Mentor of the Year Nominee, 21st Annual Compact for Faculty Diversity Institute on Teaching and Mentoring, Atlanta, GA, USA: Southern Regional Education Board (SREB)-State Doctoral Scholars Program
- 2014, Guest Editor for Special issue of Nutrition Discovery on Non-communicable Chronic Diseases
- 2013-, Vice President of Tri-City Chinese Culture Association (Johnson City, TN; Kingsport, TN; Bristol, VA), USA
- 2012, Commentator for the 1st Westlake Summer Youth Forum on Health Policy and Systems Sciences (HPSS) with Travel Fellowship Award
- 2010, Biostatistics and Epidemiology Student Award of Excellence, East Tennessee State University
- 2010, American Public Health Association (APHA) Maternal and Child Health (MCH) Section Outstanding Author for 2010-2011
- 2009, American Public Health Association (APHA) Maternal and Child Health (MCH) Section Outstanding Author for 2009-2010
- 2009, SAS (Statistics Analysis System) Base Programmer for 9.1 Certification with 100% Score.
- 2004, Top 5 National Trainee: GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceutical Co., Great China Area
- 2000-2003, President of Student Government, College of Medicine, Wuhan University of Science and Technology, China
- 1998-1999, President of Student Government, Guangzhou No. 7 Middle School, Guangzhou, China
- 1997, Representative of Guangzhou High School students for competing in China Central Television (CCTV) for "Samsung Intelligence Express"
- 1989, Special Class for gifted children (skipped 2 grades), Shashi Middle School, Jingzhou City, Hubei Province, China
JAMA Pediatrics, Maternal and Child Health Journal, Obesity, Pediatric Obesity, Childhood
Obesity, International Journal of Obesity, The Journal of Rural Health, General Internal
Medicine, Maternal and Child Nutrition, Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health
Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology, International Journal of Public Health, PloS One
- An R, Xue H, Wang Y, Wang L. Projecting the impact of a nationwide school-based plain water access intervention on childhood obesity in the United States: a cost-benefit analysis. Pediatric Obesity (in press).
- Yan Y, Liu J, Wang L, Hou D, Zhao X, Chen H, Mi J. Different influence of excessive body weight and elevated blood pressure from childhood on left ventricular geometric remodeling in adulthood. International Journal of Cardiology. 2017 May 25. pii: S0167-5273(17)30212-7. doi: 10.1016/j.ijcard.2017.05.085. [Epub ahead of print]
- Liu J,* Wang L,* Sun J, Liu G, Yan W, Xi B, Xiong F, Ding W, Huang G, Mi J. Bone mineral density interpretation and reporting among Chinese children aged 3 to 18: The China Child and Adolescent Cardiovascular Health (CCACH) (*co-first author). BMJ Open. 2017;7:e014542.
- Wei F, Nie G, Zhou B, Wang L, Ma Y, Peng S, et al. Association between Chinese cooking oil fumes and sleep quality among a middle-aged Chinese population. Environmental Pollution. 2017; 227:543-551.
- Shi L, Zhang D, Wang L, Zhuang J, Cook R, Chen L. Meditation and blood pressure: a meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. Journal of Hypertension. 2017;35(4): 696-706.
- Owusu D, Aibangbee J, Collins C, Robertson C, Wang L, Littleton MA, Boghozian R, Casenburg V, Mamudu HM. The use of e-cigarettes among school-going adolescents in a predominantly rural environment of central Appalachia. Journal of Community Health. 2016 Nov 21. [Epub ahead of print]
- Wang L, Southerland J, Wang K, Bailey B, Alamian A, Stevens M, Wang Y. Ethnic differences in risk factors for obesity among adults in California, the United States. Journal of Obesity. vol. 2017, Article ID 2427483, 10 pages, 2017. doi:10.1155/2017/2427483
- Wang Y*, Wang L*, Xue H, Qu W. A review of the growth of the fast food industry in China and its potential impact on obesity. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2016.13(11). pii:E1112.(*co-first author).
- Wang L, Collins C, Pitts M, Xie B, Wang Y. Breastfeeding reduces childhood obesity risks. Childhood Obesity 2017;13(3):197-204.
- Mamudu H, Timir P, Wang L, Sreenivas V, Alamain A, Hemang P, Panchal H. Association between multiple modifiable risk factors of cardiovascular disease and hypertension among asymptomatic patients in central Appalachia. Southern Medical Journal. 2017;110(2):90-96.
- Alamian A, Wang L, Amber MH, Pitts M, Ikekwere J. Infant sleep problems and childhood overweight: effects of three definitions of sleep problems. Preventive Medicine Report. 2016; 4:463-468.
- Tian X, Di Z, Yu L, Ren X, Chai Y, Ding F, Chen J, Southerland J, Cui Z, Hu X, Xu J, Xu S, Qian G, Wang L*. A study on the development of an infectious disease specific health literacy scale. BMJ Open. 2016;6:e012039 (*Corresponding author)
- Leinaar E, Alamian A, Wang L. A Systematic review of the relationship between asthma, obesity, and the effects of physical activity in youth. Annals of Epidemiology. 2016; 26(7):504-510.e6.
- Southerland J, Wang L, Slawson D. A cross-sectional study of weight misperception and health-related quality of life in Appalachian adolescents. Maternal and Child Health. 2016 Jul 18. [Epub ahead of print]
- Mamudu H, Paul T, Wang L, Veeranki SP, Panchal HB, Alamian A, Sarnosky K, Budoff M. The effects of multiple coronary artery disease risk factors on subclinical atherosclerosis in a rural population in the United States. Preventive Medicine. 2016; 88:140-146.
- Wang L. Cui L, Wang Y, Vaidya A, Chen S, Zhang C, Zhu Y, Li D, Hu FB, Wu S, Gao X. Heart rate and the risk of developing impaired fasting glucose and diabetes: the Kailuan prospective study. International Journal of Epidemiology. 2015; 44(2): 689-699.
- Wang L, Wang K, Gao X, Paul T, Cai J, Wang Y. Sex difference in the association between obesity and asthma in U.S. adults: Findings from a national study. Respiratory Medicine. 2015; 109(8):955-62.
- Liang Y, Hou D, Zhao X, Wang L, Hu Y, Liu J, et al. Childhood obesity affects adult metabolic syndrome and diabetes. Endocrine. 2015 Mar 10. [Epub ahead print]
- Mamudu H, Paul T, Veeranki S, Wang L, Panchal H, Budoff M. Subclinical atherosclerosis and relationship with risk factors of coronary artery disease in a rural population. American Journal of Medical Sciences 2015 Sep 1. [Epub ahead of print].
- Slawson D, Dalton W, Dula T, Southerland J, Wang L, Littleton M, Mozen D, Relyea G, Schetzina K, Lowe E, Stoots J, Wu T. College students as facilitators in reducing adolescent obesity disparity in Southern Appalachia: Team Up for Healthy Living. Contemporary Clinical Trials. 2015; 43: 39-52.
- Wang L, Slawson DL, Relyea G, Southerland J, Wang Y. Prevalence of and risk factors for adolescent obesity in southern Appalachia, 2012. Preventing Chronic Disease. 2014; 11: E222
- Liang Y, Hou D, Shan X, Zhao X, Hu Y, Jiang B, Wang L, et al. Cardiovascular remodeling relates to elevated childhood blood pressure: Beijing Blood Pressure Cohort Study. International Journal of Cardiology. 2014; 177(3):836-839.
- Dalton W, Wang L, Southerland J, Schetzina K, Slawson D. Utilizing Self-Reported versus Actual Weight and Height Data Contributes to Different Weight Misperception Classifications. Southern Medical Journal.2014; 107(6): 348-355.
- Wang L, Mamudu M, Alamian A, Anderson JL, Brook B. Independent and joint effects of prenatal maternal smoking and maternal exposure to secondhand smoke on the development of adolescent obesity: A longitudinal study. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health. 2014; 50(11):908-915.
- Tian X, Zhao G, Li Y, Wang L*, Shi Y. Overweight and obesity difference of Chinese population between different urbanization levels. The Journal of Rural Health. 2014; 30(1):101-112. (*Corresponding author).
- Zhang M, Zhao X, Cheng H, Wang L, Xi B, Shen Y, Hou D, Mi J. Age- and sex-dependent association of FTO rs9939609 with obesity-related traits in Chinese children and adolescents. PLoS One. 2014; 9(5):e97545.
- Li Q, Xiong R, Wang L, Cui J, Shi L, Liu Y, Luo B. Associations of dietary habits, physical activity, and cognitive views with gestational diabetes mellitus among Chinese women. Public Health Nutrition. 2014; 19(8):1850-1857.
- Wang L, Mamudu HM, Wu TJ. The Impact of maternal prenatal smoking on the development of childhood overweight in school-aged children. Pediatric Obesity. 2013; 8(3):178-188.
- Wang L, Wang K. Age Differences in the Associations of Behavioral and Psychosocial Factors with Stroke. Neuroepidemiology. 2013; 41(2): 94-100.
- Liu X, Wang K, Wang L, Tsilimingras D. Microalbuminuria, Macroalbuminuria and uncontrolled blood pressure among diagnosed hypertensive patients: the aspect of racial disparity in the NHANES study. Hypertension Research. 2013; 36(12):1100-1106.
- Wang L, Anderson JL, Dalton WT, Wu TJ, Liu CX, Zheng SM, Liu XF. Maternal depressive symptoms and the risk of overweight in their children. Maternal and Child Health Journal. 2013; 17(5):940-948.
- Wang L, Liu XF, Luo XG, Zeng M, Zuo LJ, Wang K. Genetic variants in the fat mass- and obesity- associated (FTO) gene are associated with alcohol dependence. Journal of Molecular Neuroscience. 2013; 51(2):416-424.
- Wang L, Alamian A, Southerland J, Wang K, Anderson JL, Stevens M. Cesarean section and the risk of overweight in grade 6 children. European Journal of Pediatrics. 2013; 172(10):1341-1347.
- Southerland J, Wang L, Richards K, Pack R, Slawson DL. Misperceptions of overweight: associations of weight misperception with health-related quality of life among normal-weight college students. Public Health Report. 2013; 128(6):562-568.
- Wang L, Dalton WT, Schetzina KE, Fulton-Robinson H, Holt N, Ho Ai-leng, Tudiver F, Wu TJ. Modeling aspects of home food environment with dietary intake and body mass index among overweight and obese children in southern Appalachia. Southern Medical Journal. 2013; 106(10):550-557.
- Wang L, Wu T, Liu X, Anderson JL, Alamian A, Fu MS, Li J. Pesticide exposure during pregnancy and low birth weight. WHO South-SEAJPH. 2012; 1(3):232-238.
- Zhao M, Steffen LM, Wang L, Xi B. Low diastolic blood pressure increases risk of all-cause and CVD mortality among US adults: the NHANES Mortality Study. Journal of Hypertension (under revision).
- Zhao Y, Wang L*, Wang H, Wang Y. Fast food consumption pattern and its association with obesity and hypertension among children: The Childhood Obesity Study in China Mega-cities. Public Health Nutrition (under review). (*co-first author)
- Zhao Y, Wang L*, Xue H, Wang H, Wang Y. Associations between central- and general obesity and hypertension among children in China: The Childhood Obesity Study in China Mega-cities (under review). (*co-first author)
- Wang Y, Wang L. Child Obesity and Health. International Encyclopedia of Public Health, 2nd Edition. Expected Release: Nov 1, 2016. Print Book ISBN: 9780128036785. Elsevier Publisher.
- Wang K, Wang L. Molecular Aspects of Alcohol and Nutrition, First Edition edited by V Patel. Nov 1, 2015. Print Book ISBN: 9780128007730. Elsevier Publisher.
- Li X, Li Y, Guo H, Wang L, et al. (2013). Health Literacy: surveillance and evaluation guide. Nanjing, China: Southeast University Press.
- Alamian A, Wang L, Pitts M, Ikekwere J, Hall A. Infant sleep problems increase the odds of childhood overweight at grade 6: differential effects of commonly used definitions of sleep problems. Circulation. 2014;129(Suppl 1):AP106.
- Southerland J, Wang L, Dalton W, Slawson D. Weight misperception and health-related quality of life in Appalachian adolescents. Circulation. 2014;129(Suppl 1):AP287.
- Wang L, Alamian A, Southerland J, Wang KS, Anderson JL, Stevens M. Cesarean section associated with increased risk for overweight and obesity in grade six children. Circulation. 2013: 127: AP289.
- Wang L, Mamudu HM, Anderson JM, Alamian A. Maternal smoking during pregnancy and the risk of adolescent obesity. American Journal of Epidemiology. 2012;175(Suppl 11):1-145.
- Wang L, Hong X, Jia P, Qu W, Wang H, Wang Y. Fast food consumption and its associations with obesity and elevated blood pressure among school children: A four city study in China. Poster presentation at Obesity Society Annual Meeting during ObesityWeek 2016 in New Orleans October 31 - November 4, 2016.
- Wang L, Wang K, Wang Y. Association between obesity and asthma in US adults: Findings from the 2012 National Health Interview Survey. American Society for Nutrition. Community, Public Health and Global Nutrition session. Experimental Biology 2014. April 26-60. San Diego, California, USA.
- Wang L, Southerland J, Slawson D, Mozen D. The role of peer eating and physical activity in the prevalence of obesity among Appalachia children. The 31st Annual Scientific Meeting of The Obesity Society- Obesity Week 2013. Atlanta, Georgia. November 11-16, 2013.
- Wang L, Alamian A. Child's sleep problems and risk of childhood overweight: A longitudinal study. (2013) Poster presented at the Society for Epidemiologic Research, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Wang L, Alamian A, Southerland J, Wang KS, Anderson JL, Stevens M. "Cesarean section associated with increased risk for overweight and obesity in grade six children". Epidemiology and Prevention/Nutrition, Physical Activity and Metabolism 2013 Scientific Sessions.
- Wang L, Wu T, Anderson JL, Dalton W, Liu X. Breastfeeding and the development of childhood obesity from grades 1 through 6. Oral presenter at the 139th American Public Health Association (APHA) national conference Obesity and Nutrition Session of Epidemiology Section in Washington DC, 2011.
- Wang L, Wu T. Effects of maternal depression on the development of childhood obesity. Greg Alexander Outstanding student paper session: Maternal and Child Health Research and Implications. Oral presenter at the 2010 Greg Alexander Outstanding Students Papers Session for the 138th American Public Health Association (APHA) national conference in Denver, 2010.
- Wang L, Wu T, Anderson JL, Florence LE. Prevalence and Risk Factors of Maternal Depression during the First Three Years of Child-Rearing. Greg Alexander Outstanding student paper session: Maternal and Child Health Research and Implications. Oral presenter at the 2009 Greg Alexander Outstanding Students Papers Session for the 137th American Public Health Association (APHA) national conference in Philadelphia, 2009.
Title: Developing a research agenda to prevent and control CVD in Central Appalachia
NIH/NICHD (1 U54 HD070725-01, $2.1 million)
Subcontract of SUNY Buffalo for U54 center P3 grant
Title: Multilevel systems-oriented childhood obesity study in China
ETSU Research Development Committee Major Grant
Title: Influence of healthcare setting on obesity risk among U.S. children
Tennessee Department of Health
Title: Population health improvement plan
NIH Center on Minority Health and Health Disparities (R01)
Title: College students as facilitators to reduce adolescent obesity disparity
ETSU Research Development Committee
Title: Age differences in the association of behavioral/social factors with stroke
ETSU Research Development Committee
Title: The impact of maternal prenatal smoking on childhood obesity
ETSU Research Development Committee
Title: Sleep problems and overweight among American youth
Impact of the Fast Food Industry in China https://www.etsu.edu/news/collpub_health/college/lwang_111816.aspx
Dr. Liang Wang Speaks at Research Meetings in China
Liang Wang Receives Leadership and Service Award from NACSN
Dr. Liang Wang Elected to CHPAMS Board
Spotlight in Briefings in Childhood Obesity, which is a comprehensive news source delivered by-weekly from the editorial team of childhood obesity that look forward to providing the latest developments in this ever-changing field. http://www.liebertpub.com/CHIArchive/2015/CHI_Briefings-092415.html
Johnson City Press, University Homepage news, and ETSU Accent cover page, the faculty/staff newsletter, Volume 64, Number 3, September 28, 2015. “Dr. Liang Wang using grants to study childhood obesity”. https://www.etsu.edu/accent/
ETSU Accent, the faculty/staff newsletter, Volume 63, Number 10, March 30, 2015. “Dr. Liang Wang nominated for 'Mentor of the Year'”. Available at https://www.etsu.edu/news/2015/03_mar/wang_mentor_nomination.aspx
East Tennessee Identifies Parental Education as Predictor of Adolescent Obesity in Appalachia http://www.aspph.org/east-tennessee-identifies-parental-education-as-predictor-of-adolescent-obesity-in-appalachia/; The cover page of ETSU Accent, the faculty/staff newsletter, Volume 63, Number 8, January 29, 2015.
The article “Wang L, et al. The Impact of Maternal Prenatal Smoking on the Development of Childhood Overweight in School -aged Children. Pediatric Obesity. 2013; 8(3):178-188.” was reported in www.MDLinx.com, ASPPH Friday Letter, and related news was featured on first page of Johnson City Press, and East Tennessean.
The article “Wang L. et al. Maternal Depressive Symptoms and the Risk of Overweight in Their Children” was reported in ASPPH Friday Letter and was also featured on http://www.mdlinx.com/psychiatry/news-article.cfm/4157583/depressive-symptoms.
The article “Wang L et al. Cesarean section and the risk of overweight in grade 6 children. European Journal of Pediatrics. 2013; 172(10):1341-1347.” was featured on www.MDLinx.com and www.dugdug.com. http://www.mdlinx.com/pediatrics/news-article.cfm/4859119/cesarean-section-childhood-overweight-obesity
The article “Wang L. et al. Modeling aspects of home food environment with dietary intake and body mass index among overweight and obese children in southern Appalachia. Southern Medical Journal. 2013; 106(10):550-557.” was featured in www. MDLinx.com and ASPPH Friday Letter.http://www.mdlinx.com/endocrinology/news-article.cfm/4876475/overweight
Research article “Wang L. et al. Independent and joint effects of prenatal maternal smoking and maternal exposure to secondhand smoke on the development of adolescent obesity: A longitudinal study” was featured on the home page of ETSU website, two media TVs, the cover page of ETSU Accents, and ASPPH Friday Letter.
Interview (including mentoring story) between a Doctoral student and Dr. Liang Wang (Advisor) was featured on the Illuminated Magazine, the Fall issue of 2014.