Imagine that you are one of the first pioneers to enter Tennessee.
The "Pioneer Experience" is a Short-term Knowledge, Immersion-Learning, and Leadership Skills (SKILLS) experience that challenges the participants to work together to not only answer these questions, but put their plans into action. Students in a classroom may use videos, textbooks or lectures to KNOW how the early settlers lived, but during the "Pioneer Experience," participants will actually DO what the early settlers did.
- How kind of shelter would you build?
- What kind of sanitation would you need?
- How would you cook, how would you protect your food, and how would you get clean water?
- What else would you do to protect and promote your health?
What do participants say about the experience?
- "I enjoyed the teamwork and the sense of accomplishment that I obtained."
- "This project introduced me to a field of education that I have wanted to do my entire life. . . I realize that this is the program I want to go into."
- "It was fantastic and a lot of fun. Although it was hard work, I feel as if it really allowed me to be able to connect what we learned in class to real life."
- "I loved the teamwork that came about during the building process. It really changed my perspective on the pioneers. . ."
- "10/10 - would recommend to a friend"
- "Thanks so much for having us. It was a truly awesome experience."