Course Program of Study (CPoS)
What is CPoS?
Course program of study (CPoS) refers to all courses needed to earn your degree:
Major, concentration, eligible minor or certificate, general education, and elective
courses. If you haven't chosen a major yet and you are designated as Academic Focus
Area-Gen Ed Core this is your program of study.
Only courses in your program of study count towards your enrollment status for federal financial aid (Pell, Student Equal Opportunity Grant (SEOG), Loans, and Federal Work Study (FWS)).
Once you enroll in enough credits in your program of study to be full-time, you will be eligible for maximum federal aid, and you can take additional courses whether or not they're in your program of study.
If enrolled in 12 CPoS credits in a term, you are eligible for a maximum Pell grant. You must be enrolled in at least 6 CPoS credits to qualify for federal loans.
- If you are eligible for a Federal Pell Grant and enroll in 12 hours and only 9 of
the 12 hours are required for your officially declared program of study, the Federal
Pell Grant will be reduced to a three-quarter time award based on 9 credit hours.
However, you may be eligible to receive full-time institutional scholarship and/or
TN state grant/scholarships.
- Federal Direct Loans for undergraduate students require 6 hours of enrollment. If you are enrolled in 6 hours and only 3 of the 6 hours are required for your officially declared program of study, you are not eligible to receive a Federal Direct Loan.
If you are enrolled in 5 CPoS credits in a term, you are eligible for federal loans. As a graduate student you do not qualify for Pell grant.
- Federal Direct Loans for graduate students require 5 hours of enrollment. If you are
enrolled in 5 hours and only 3 hours are required for your officially declared program
of study, you are not eligible to receive a Federal Direct Loan.
- Full-time enrollment for graduate students is 9 hours. You do not need to be full-time in order to receive Federal Direct Loans; you only need to be enrolled in 5 hours. You will receive the same amount of Federal Direct Loans whether you are enrolled in 5 hours or 9 hours.
What Should I Do?
- Be sure your major, concentration and minor are correct by logging into GoldLink and clicking the Degree Works icon. If you haven't chosen a major yet, Degree Works should say you are enrolled in Academic Focus Area-Gen Ed Core. If you think your information in Degree Works is incorrect, contact your academic advisor immediately.
- Work with your academic advisor and use Degree Works to choose your courses carefully.
- Register early to get the courses you need in your program of study.
If you have questions about CPoS contact your academic advisor. If you have questions about financial aid, contact your financial aid counselor.