- PO Box Manager
- How-to Videos (QR)
- Mail Services
- Parcel Lockers
- Shipping Services
- Student Mailing
- Contact Us
Below you will find some of the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) of the ETSU Post Office. Please refer to this information to answer your questions. Should you be unable to resolve an issue or find the answer to your question, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Click a question below to get started:
Type here to Filter Results
- Who can use your services?Answer
- What type of U.S. Post Office services and products do you offer?Answer
- Is it okay to hand-write the addresses?Answer
- How do I pay for your products or services at the Post Office?Answer
- How can I track my packages/parcels?Answer
- What are some common problems that can cause delays in mail delivery?Answer
- Does ETSU Postal Services sell USPS Money Orders?Answer
- Is the Post Office open on weekends?Answer
- What is Priority Mail Express?Answer
- Does the ETSU Post Office provide mailing containers?Answer
- What time does mail go out from the post office?Answer
- Can I use a credit card at the ETSU Post Office to pay for services?Answer
- How can I reduce my mailing costs?Answer
- If I have a complaint, suggestion or question about the ETSU Post Office who do I contact?Answer
- Where can I obtain a U.S. passport?Answer
- What address should I use?Answer
- What time of day do UPS, FedEx and DHL deliver packages to ETSU?Answer
- Do I have to do anything for someone else to be able to get mail at my PO Box?Answer
- Who can get a PO Box and how do you get one?Answer
- I received an email saying my PO Box will be closed, what do I do to keep it?Answer
- I no longer need my PO Box but I can’t log into PO box Manager, what do I do?Answer
- Do you forward mail?Answer
- Can I send someone else to pick-up my packages/mail?Answer
- Where do I get my mail if I live on campus over summer break?Answer
- My Parents like to send me cash for school extras. What's the best way for them to send it?Answer
- Do you have any suggestions on what to send my student?Answer
- How do students get notified if a package has arrived for them?Answer
- Are there any restrictions or prohibition when using Campus Mail?Answer
- What is the proper address format for departments to use at ETSU?Answer
- Does the Post Office collect ink & toner cartridges to be recycled?Answer
- Does ETSU Postal Services Offer Notary Services?Answer
- How does the ETSU Post Office support campus sustainability initiatives?Answer
- Can faculty and staff receive personal mail at their department mail address?Answer
- Why does mail being sent out by departments have to have the addresses typed when I can mail a handwritten addressed letter from home with no problem?Answer
- Why do departments have to use the new Postal Services Transmittal Slip when we have so many of the old ones?Answer
- Where do departments get the new Postal Services Transmittal Slip?Answer
- Where do departments get the Postal Services Bulk Mailing Request Form?Answer
- Can you explain the difference between ETSU mailing addresses and the 9-1-1 addresses?Answer
Who can use your services?
Most of our services are available to everyone; including the public as well as all ETSU faculty, students and staff.
What type of U.S. Post Office services and products do you offer?
ETSU Post Office is a USPS Contract Post Unit (CPU). We offer numerous post office product and services such as:
Sell stamps such as: books, rolls, singles and stamped envelopes.
Sell U.S. Postal Money Order.
Process Priority Express and Priority Mail and provide Flat Rate, Regional and Zone Rate Boxes and Envelopes at no cost.
Process International, APO/FPO and Media Mai.
These products and services are sold at the same cost you would find at any post office.
Is it okay to hand-write the addresses?
Currently yes, although USPS highly recommends that addresses be laser printed or typed at no less than 8 point type. This helps with processing and will increase the speed and accuracy of mail delivery.
How do I pay for your products or services at the Post Office?
Window Service purchases may be purchased using, cash, check, or ID Bucs. Department purchases may be billed directly to the department using the correct index account number and the US Mail Transmittal Slip. Credit Cards are accepted with a minimum purchase of $4.00 up to 2:00 pm each day.
How can I track my packages/parcels?
Have your tracking number ready and click on the service carrier for your package/parcel: USPS TrackingFedEx TrackingDHL TrackingUPS Tracking
What are some common problems that can cause delays in mail delivery?
- Packages that are highly perfumed or that contain broken perfume bottles can be hazardous to students with allergies. Packages are stored in confined space and odors may transfer to neighboring packages, please pack perfumes and other highly scented items very carefully.
- Leaking packages can damage other student’s packages and cause delays due to inspection; such packages must be cleared as containing non-hazardous materials.
- Ticking packages can cause panic and serious delay. When shipping battery-operated items always remove the batteries before shipping: items like electric toothbrushes, metronomes, clocks and stopwatches.
- Mail not properly addressed.
- Any suspicious powders such as baby powder that leak out can cause alarm.
- Lopsided, unevenly packed or packages not properly sealed can get easily damaged and require repairing.
Does ETSU Postal Services sell USPS Money Orders?
Yes. Depending on the amount requested there is a fee ranging from $1.25 - $1.65. The maximum amount a money order can be issued for is $1000.00. Money Orders can only be purchased with Cash
Is the Post Office open on weekends?
ETSU Post Office window services are not available during weekends. During holidays, the ETSU Post Office window service follows the same holiday schedule as East Tennessee State University administration (Academic Calendar). However, during normal scheduling, the lobby area (1st floor of the Culp) containing customers’ PO Boxes and the Intelligent Package Delivery System is open for pick-ups:
Normal window service hours:
Student P.O. Box and Intelligent Package Delivery System access:
7 Days a Week
24 Hours a Day
365 Days a Year
What is Priority Mail Express?
Our speediest domestic service, Priority Mail Express®, delivers your packages overnight to most locations. Its benefits include:
- Guaranteed overnight delivery to most locations.
- Find the scheduled delivery time for your Priority Mail Express® item with Priority Mail Express® Service Commitments.
- Insurance up to $100 included at no extra charge.
Does the ETSU Post Office provide mailing containers?
ETSU provides mailing containers free of charge for the following products: USPS Priority and Priority Express Boxes and Envelopes for Flat Rate, Regional Rate and Zone Rates.
What time does mail go out from the post office?
Mail is picked up at 3:55 p.m. each weekday.
Can I use a credit card at the ETSU Post Office to pay for services?
At the window we accept cash, check or ID Bucs but our Lobby Mailing Kiosk accepts credit cards. Credit Cards are accepted with a minimum purchase of $4.00 up to 2:00 pm each day.
How can I reduce my mailing costs?
Please contact us at email@example.com or 423-439-6894 for specific questions on how you can save money on your mailing purchases. We're always happy to help. Remember to USPS Flat or Regional Rate boxes.
If I have a complaint, suggestion or question about the ETSU Post Office who do I contact?
You can send it to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Don McCarty, Postal Services Manager directly at email@example.com
Where can I obtain a U.S. passport?
ETSU Postal and Passport Services processes passports by online appointment at: www.etsu.edu/passports, by phone at 423-439-7277 (PASS) or walk-in basis.
What address should I use?
In order to expedite delivery of your mail and packages, please ensure your mailing address is:
USPS Mail, UPS, FedEx, DHL &USPS Packages>(YOUR NAME) ____________400 JL SEEHORN JR RDBOX _ _ _ _ _ (Enter Your PO Box)JOHNSON CITY TN 37614
All other street addresses, such as 325 Treasure LN, 807 University Parkway or dorm room addresses, will result in your packages being delayed from a half day up to 4 days.
What time of day do UPS, FedEx and DHL deliver packages to ETSU?
All major package carriers deliver once per day to Central Receiving. Central Receiving usually delivers the UPS packages around 11:30 and FedEx and DHL around 1:00pm to the ETSU Post Office.
Do I have to do anything for someone else to be able to get mail at my PO Box?
If anyone but the assigned PO box holder will be receiving mail at an alternatively assigned PO Box or accessing it, the assigned Box holder must go into PO Box Manager and add them to their PO Box. This is necessary in authorizing ETSU Postal Services to place any other person's mail in an assigned PO box.
Who can get a PO Box and how do you get one?
All students who reside on campus are issued a PO Box at no cost and will be issued a PO Box after they have completed their housing paperwork. Any registered student who lives off campus can request a PO Box at no cost by contacting Postal Services. Non students can request a rental box if they have some connection to the school. Approval is on a case by case basis.
I received an email saying my PO Box will be closed, what do I do to keep it?
You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know your PO Box number and that you want to keep your PO Box open.
I no longer need my PO Box but I can’t log into PO box Manager, what do I do?
Send us an email at email@example.com letting us know we can close your PO Box or you can provide us a forwarding address.
Do you forward mail?
If you leave ETSU or wish to close your PO Box for any reason, it is your responsibility to inform the ETSU Postal Services of your new address via the PO Box Manager.
- We will forward all USPS first class mail, packages and periodicals for a period of 4 months.
- We cannot forward mail to an international address. Domestic addresses only.
- We cannot forward items sent by a private carrier (UPS, FedEx, etc.) These items will be returned to the sender.
- Be sure to inform all parties that send you mail of your new address as soon as possible.
Can I send someone else to pick-up my packages/mail?
If for any reason you are unable to pick up a package due to illness or emergency, you can designate another student to pick up the item for you. Please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and mailbox number as well as the name of the person you are authorizing to pick up your item.
Where do I get my mail if I live on campus over summer break?
Mail is delivered the same throughout the year. If you will be gone for any extended period of time, contact postal services to see about holding or forwarding your mail.
My Parents like to send me cash for school extras. What's the best way for them to send it?
Sending cash through the mail is discouraged. Suggest they directly deposit it into your bank account or to send a USPS money order or check instead.
Do you have any suggestions on what to send my student?
Be creative! Many online sites now allow you to customize a border, print a photo, and send it right from the site. We suggest that you do not send original copies of family photos, as they can be damaged in shipping. Send a scan or a copy instead. Such photos also make great wall décor for your student's residence-hall room!
Two-liter soda bottles can hold some fun stuff. They're fun to fill and fun for your student to receive. Check online for some great ideas about how to fill and send a two-liter greeting.
Care Package - any package, big or small, can encourage your student to "keep up the good work." For example, if your student is ill, you can send cold-and-flu medicine, favorite teas, hot cocoa mix, and/or any number of other" get well soon" items.
Packages from home that include: (on the inside or outside):Stickers or drawings Notes of encouragement from family and friends
How do students get notified if a package has arrived for them?
When a package arrives for a student they will get notified by email their package is ready for pickup. The 3 emails specify exactly where the package will be.
- A notice will specify a specific locker bank and contains a PIN will be in the lockers in the lobby.
- A notice that directs the student to come to the postal services window will be available from 8:25-3:55.
- A notice that talks about coming to the window but specifies “Fit In Box” with a YES, means the package is in the student’s PO Box.
Are there any restrictions or prohibition when using Campus Mail?
- Campus mail cannot be used to distribute: chain letters, hate mail, mail with obscene content, Letters to gain personal profit (ex. pyramid schemes) and Political endorsements.
- If your organization or department is depositing more than 100 pieces at a time they must be in Box Number. If you have any questions contact postal services.
- Campus Mail at a minimum must have a Complete Student Name or Department Name and a Box Number.
What is the proper address format for departments to use at ETSU?
Department Name Box Number JOHNSON CITY TN 37614 (Preferred format is all CAPS with no punctuation) No street addresses or Bldg names.
Does the Post Office collect ink & toner cartridges to be recycled?
Each ink cartridge box contains a label to be properly used in returning the cartridges for recycling. With that said, yes, we act as a drop off point for ink & toner cartridges to be recycled. Please be sure to properly package them before drop off. If you have further questions, feel free to contact us! Empty cartridges without a label can be brought or sent to us for recycling instead of discard them in the trash.
Does ETSU Postal Services Offer Notary Services?
Yes, we have a Notary on-site. Please, drop by or call ahead to ensure their availability coincides with your arrival.
How does the ETSU Post Office support campus sustainability initiatives?
The ETSU PO recognizes and celebrates our campus wide sustainability program. We are proud of our office’s current initiatives and excited about improvements that will be borne in future process planning. Currently, the ETSU Post Office is involved in the following environmentally friendly agendas:
- The collection of used ink cartridges for recycling.
- In-house Mail Waste Reduction.
- We collect used small boxes and provide them to our customers at no cost to minimize their mailing cost.
- We are the collection and distribution point for interdepartmental mailing envelopes.
Can faculty and staff receive personal mail at their department mail address?
This practice is strongly discouraged. We do not accept responsibility for this type of mail if it doesn't reach you. We realize that sometimes it is very beneficial to receive a package at your work address but please remember; we have limited resources to handle the extra volume and it will be delivered to anyone sent to pick up the department’s mail.
Why does mail being sent out by departments have to have the addresses typed when I can mail a handwritten addressed letter from home with no problem?
ETSU has a mailing permit from USPS that provides discounts for all our mail and in order to get the discounted rates all the mail has to meet certain automation requirements. One of those requirements is for typed addresses.
Why do departments have to use the new Postal Services Transmittal Slip when we have so many of the old ones?
The new transmittal slip provides better accountability, more accurate billing, allows for additional services to be requested and reduces unauthorized use of school funds.
Where do departments get the new Postal Services Transmittal Slip?
Where do departments get the Postal Services Bulk Mailing Request Form?
Can you explain the difference between ETSU mailing addresses and the 9-1-1 addresses?
The ETSU USPS mailing addresses are used for delivery of all mail at ETSU for student and department mail. The ETSU Post Office will not use street addresses for mail services. The chief reason for assigning the 9-1-1 addresses is to give emergency responders directions for locating buildings on campus. For more detailed information you can click on this link.