- Membership Information
- Aquatics & Indoor Pool
- Fitness & Wellness
- Intramural Sports
- Outdoor Adventure
- Sport Clubs
- Non-Credit Instruction
- Casual Care
- Student Employment
- Forms and Manuals
- Contact Us
The ETSU’s Outdoor Adventure program offers indoor and outdoor climbing and bouldering opportunities. The impressive new 44 foot Outdoor Tower at the Basler Team Challenge & Aerial Adventure Course boasts climbing, rappelling, and bouldering for all skills levels! The CPA is home to the Indoor Climbing Wall that has multiple route 40 foot climbing routes to enjoy with bouldering availability. A valid ETSU I.D. is required to participate in Open Climb.
During inclement/rainy weather, Outdoor Open Climb will be moved to the Indoor Wall. Climbing wall hours are subject to change due to inclement weather and other special programming. To assure that the climbing wall is open, feel free to contact the Basler Center at 439.7980. Any other questions can be directed to the Outdoor Adventure Coordinator at 439.7982.
Climbing facilities include the CPA Indoor Wall and the Outdoor Climbing Tower at the Basler Team Challenge & Aerial Adventure Course. The following Climbing policies and procedures have been developed for the safe and enjoyable use of these facilities.
1. Minimum age requirement is 12 years. Under the age of 16 must be accompanied by
a parent or guardian.
2. All climbers must have a completed and signed “Agreement to Follow Rules” form and “Acknowledgement of Risk, Informed Consent and Release of Liability” agreement on file at each climbing site.
3. All climbers must sign “Climber’s Log” before climbing.
4. All Climbers must wear their “Climber’s Card” when harnessed.
5. Remove jewelry, empty pockets and use safety straps for glasses. Climbers with long hair must tie back hair when on the wall.
6. Authorized instructors must be present and attentive.
7. Closed face shoes are required. Climbing shoes, athletic shoes, tennis shoes and hiking boots are acceptable – no sandals!
8. Ball chalk only, no loose chalk, no chalk on ropes.
9. No horseplay or unsafe conduct will be tolerated!
10. Proper care of equipment is a must. No stepping on ropes, dropping/tossing carabiners/belay devices, or other unsafe actions.
11. Proper climbing procedures and commands must be used.
12. Problems such as accidents, loose holds and equipment damage must be reported to staff immediately.
For policies and procedures regarding personal harness use, bouldering, belay authorization, lead climbing, helmet use please refer to staff members on duty.
Climbing at ETSU recognizes 4 levels for skills associated with climbing wall activities:
• 1st time climbers and climb only participants
• Outdoor wall top rope belay
• Indoor wall top rope belay
• Sport climb/belay on the indoor wall only.
Interested in joining or learning more about the Climbing Club at ETSU? Click here for more information.
June 11 - August 24
Monday - Thursday
4 pm - 7 pm
Friday - Sunday