- Faculty Home
- Edit Course
- Course Request Forms
- Contact Us
To access the Survey tool, from the Course Nav Bar click to expand the Course Tools link group and select Surveys.
The Surveys tool allows you to capture feedback from your students regarding a particular content topic or feedback on the overall course. Surveys in D2L are not a replacement for SAI or other official university reporting mechanism. The Survey tool functions are closely related to the functions of the Assessment(Survey) tool. Unlike Assessments, surveys cannot be tied to the gradebook nor can you give students feedback on survey attempts. If you would like to provide feedback to your students on survey attempts, you may want to consider creating an ungraded assessment instead. Visit the Assessments page to learn more about creating quizzes, both graded and ungraded.
When creating surveys, a best practice is to begin in the Question Library. The Question Library is a question repository shared across the Assessment (Survey) tool, the Survey tool, and the Self Assessment tool.
To navigate to the Question Library, Click the Question Library menu option located on the Manage Surveys page.
The Question Library is divided into two frames. The Left-Frame holds the tree-structure of your question sections (or folders). The Right-Frame will display your question sections (folders) as well as any questions not belonging to a specific folder.
From this page, use the New and Import buttons to begin creating questions and sections. Use the menu buttons to Move, Delete, Reorder, and Edit Values for the questions and sections.
When you've completed your question building workflow, click the Done Editing Questions button on the far right to return to the Manage Surveys page.
Click on a question type to view field-by-field instructions for creating a question:
Sections act as folders within surveys and the question library. It is a good practice to organize your course materials. Sections can aid that organization.
- Enter a Section Name. Note that, by default, students do not see the section name unless you turn on that
- The Message field displays below the section name, but only if access for students is turned
on. Otherwise, students will not see this message.
- Private Comments are reserved for instructors, teacher assistants, and graders. Any text entered in
this box will not display to the student.
- Use the Insert an Image button to insert an image above the section.
- Display Options:
- Mark the show section name option to allow students to see the section name.
- Mark the insert a line break after section name option to insert a line break.
- Mark the display message and image option to allow students to see the message and image included within the section. You may choose to display the message and image only once or before each question within the section.
- Include any Section Feedback that will display to the student after he/she submits a quiz attempt.
- Click Save to return back to the Question Library.
The Likert question type will allow students to select a rating from a rating scale as a response to a single question or statement.
Follow these steps to create a Likert question:
- Optional: Enter a questiontitle. If you do not enter a title, D2L will inherit the first line of the question text
as the Question Title. Note that only the Question Title displays on the Properties tab of Edit Survey. Also, similar question titles will assume a numbered naming convention (e.g. Which
of the follow1; Which of the follow2).
- Enter the actual question or question prompt in the Introductory Text textbox.
- Use the Insert an Image button to insert an image above your question text. Alternately, you may insert an
image via the formatting ribbon within the question text textbox. For more information
on the formatting ribbon, visit the Content page.
- Description – If you selected an image with the Insert an Image button, add a description of that image in this textbox.
- Question Scale - Select a question scale from the list of options:
- One to Five (1 - 5)
- One to Eight (1 - 8)
- Agreement Scale (Disagree - Agree)
- Satisfaction Scale (Dissatisfied - Satisfied)
- Frequency Scale (Never - Always)
- Importance Scale (Unimportant - Important)
- Opposition Scale (Oppose - Support)
- Include an N/A option for each value by marking the Include an N/A option checkbox.
- The Answer Options table allows for you to perform the following actions:
- List the Statements/Questions in the Valuecolumn. By default D2L presents two value rows. If your likert question needs more rows,
click the Add Option button, located above the table.
- List the Statements/Questions in the Valuecolumn. By default D2L presents two value rows. If your likert question needs more rows, click the Add Option button, located above the table.
- Optional: Enter Question Feedback. Question feedback displays to the student after he/she has submitted an attempt, regardless of the answer option selected.
- Choose a saving option:
- Save – Saves the current question and returns you back to the collection root folder.
- Save and Copy - Saves the current question and displays a new, exact copy of the now previous question.
- Save and New - Saves the current question and displays a new, blank question of the same question type.
- Preview – Displays a preview of how the question will appear to students. This action does not save any changes made to the new question screen.
- Cancel – Discards all changes.
To create a new quiz, click the blue New Survey button. You will be redirected to the Edit Survey page. This page is divided into six tabs. Each of these tabs contain information related to creating surveys.
After clicking the New Survey button you will be brought to the Edit Survey Page, Properties Tab. The Properties tab holds your quiz name, quiz questions and paging options, directions and introduction materials, as well as the ability to disable the right-click mouse action. Populate all of the necessary fields on this tab before moving forward in the quiz creation process.
- Enter a Report Name.
- If you prefer that students receive feedback while completing the survey, click the
- Click the Anonymous option to make your survey completely anonymous. Note that D2L will not track student
progress is this option is checked. Also, this setting cannot be changed once the
survey has been created.
- Survey Questions - Click the Add/Edit Questions button to create questions for the survey or to import questions from the Question
- Optional: Enter information into the Description and Submission sections. Information entered in the Description will appear to the student on the
Survey Summary page, before the student begins the assessment. Note that if you choose to populate either of these fields, you must select the ON radio button for the information to display. The Submission message displays to the
students after they have submitted the survey. The default message is "You have successfully
submitted the survey."
- Optional: Enter information into the Page Header and Footer sections. Information entered in these two textboxes will appear to the student along the top and/or bottom of the survey question page(s). Note that if you choose to populate either of these fields, you must select the ON radio button for the information to display.
- Click Save and then navigate to the Restrictions tab.
If you do not see textboxes for the Description/Submission or Page Header/Footer click the Expand hyperlinks.
The Restrictions tab holds all information regarding when and how participants access your quiz.
- Select a quiz Status. By default surveys are Inactive. Students cannot see inactive surveys. Toggling a quiz to Active will allows students to see the link to the quiz. Remember that there is no way to
automate this change. If you set a quiz to Inactive you will need to manually toggle the status to Active before students can access it. It is recommended that if you are using Start and End Dates, go ahead and set your quiz to Active. If the quiz is Inactive it will remain invisible to students despite any start and end dates set.
- Optional: If you are planning on setting date and time parameters, complete the Dates section:
- Start Date-sets the earliest date and time that a participant will be able to begin the survey. To set a start date check the Has Start Date box and set a date and time.
- End Date-sets the latest date and time that a participant will last be able to begin the survey. To set a start date check the Has Start Date box and set a date and time.
- Optional:Release Conditions- Creating release conditions control which criterion students must meet in order for D2L to release the quiz to that student.
- User Responses - Select the number of attempts you will allow for each student by selecting a number from the Attempts Allowed dropdown menu.
- Optional: Advanced Availability -To provide specific participants with availability and time limits for the quiz that
are different from the rest of the class, click the Add User to Special Access button. Use this feature for students who require longer examination times or for
students who missed the initial quiz dates.
- Allow selected users special access to this quiz- Selecting this radio button will allow students with special access to open the quiz outside of the regular restrictions you set previously without affecting the rest of the class and their access.
- Allow only users with special access to see this quiz-Selecting this radio button will allow ONLY students with special access to open the quiz outside of the regular restrictions you set previously. Your remaining classlist will NOT be able to access the quiz.
- Click Save and navigate to the Assessment tab.
- Optional: Click the Add Rubric button to attach a grading rubric to the survey. Note:Although Rubrics can be attached and used on surveys, scores generated within the Rubric do not transfer to the gradebook. Surveys cannot be scored.
Create reports to gather survey results statistics.
- Click the Add Report button.
- Select a ReportType
- Summary Report
- Show Aggregate Data - Displays summary data for: MC, TF, LIKERT, M-S, ORD, MAT
- Show Text Responses - Displays individual responses for: LA, SA, FIB, MSA
- Individual Attempts
- Hide User Information - Do not display the user's First Name and Last Name when viewing Individual Attempts.
- Summary Report
- Release - Select a date to release the report.
- Select the Role(s) this report is available. Note that you must select Instructor Role to be able
to view this report.
- Click Save.
Create a Survey Category
Use categories to better organize the different types of surveys available to your students.
To Add a Survey Category:
- From the Manage Surveys page, click the Edit Categories button.
- Click the Add Category button.
- Enter a Category Name in the Name column.
- Optional: Enter a Sort Order. Sort order will control the order of the categories on the Manage Surveys page.
- Click Save and Close
You can also create a category from within the Edit Survey Page.
- From the Manage Surveys page, click either New Survey or select Edit Survey from a preexisting quiz's context menu.
- For the Category option, select a preexisting category or click the add category hyperlink to create a new category.
To Delete a Survey Category
- From the Manage Surveys page, click the Edit Categories button.
- Mark the checkbox to the left of the category or categories you would like to delete.
- Click the TrashcanIcon.
- Click Save and Close
Control the order your surveys appear with the Reorder option.
- From the Manage Surveys page, click the More Actions button and select Reorder from the dropdown menu.
- Select a number in the in the Sort Order dropdown. Note that the sort order will dynamically update with each sort order number
you select or change.
- Click Save to return to the Manage Surveys page.
Copy a Survey (Create a Duplicate Survey)
Create a duplicate survey by using the Copy feature.
- From the Manage Surveys page, click the More Actions button and select Copy from the dropdown menu.
- Select a preexisting Survey to Copy from the dropdown menu.
- Enter a New Survey Name. Note that the default name will be Copy of ____.
- Select a New Survey Status. Note that students cannot see Inactive surveys.
- If you would like to be automatically redirected to the Edit Survey screen of the duplicate quiz, make the Edit Survey after copy completes option.
- Click Save.
Delete a Survey
Delete a quiz by using the Delete feature.
- From the Manage Surveys page, click the More Actions button and select Delete from the dropdown menu.
- Mark the checkbox of the quiz or surveys you would like to delete.
- Click the Delete button.
- Click Cancel to return to the Manage Surveys page.