- Services Provided
- Meet the Staff
- FAQ and Myths
- Self Help
- Helping Others
- Alcohol & Drug
- THRIVE Suicide & Violence Prevention
- Faculty & Staff
- Division of Student Life and Enrollment Home
- Contact Us
Counseling Center Groups
for Fall 2019
This group will provide a blend of traditional group counseling and experiential relationship building. Some group time will be spent facilitating healthy communication, listening and support among group members based on current struggles of group members. Other group meetings will be devoted to utilizing on-campus resources for outdoor adventure and team building. Topics discussed will include: cultural messages of masculinity; emotional intelligence; relationship skills; guilt and shame; vulnerability; anger; self-esteem/self-worth.
- Day/Time: Thursdays from 2:30pm-4:00pm
- Start date: Thursday, September 12, 2019
- Location: Nell Dossett Residence Hall
- Open group, no interview required.
- Contact Eric Feltman for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Understanding Self & Others
This group will provide safe personal growth opportunities for students to engage in giving and receiving support, empathy, and feedback to help make desired changes, gain insight and explore meaning in your life. You may address how your background and upbringing affects your life. Concerns such as anxiety, stress, depression, self-esteem, body image, feeling distant from others, problem solving, trauma history or grief will be addressed. This group will help with fitting in at school, making better decisions, making friends, improving communication, dating or relationship issues, gaining more self-confidence and being more assertive. Discover you are not alone in the difficulties you experience. Group members will have the opportunity to explore and challenge stereotypes and prejudices in the presence of diversity to increase understanding and contentedness.
- Day/Time: Tuesdays from 2:15pm-3:45pm
- Start date: Tuesday, September 10, 2019
- Location: Nell Dosset Residence Hall
- Contact Dan Jones for more information: email@example.com
SMART Recovery Support Group
A science-based self-management and recovery support group for students that seek to develop and strengthen skills for use in recovery from addictive behaviors. SMART can help with misuse or oversuse of alcohol and other drugs, gaming/technology, porn, overeating, gaming and other issues. For more information about the SMART Recovery model visit smartrecovery.org
- Day/Time: Fridays from 11:00am-12:00pm
- Start date: Friday, September 6, 2019
- Location: Online
- Contact Loren Biggs for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fem Sex Group
FemSex is a semester long, weekly, non-credit workshop. Though the workshop is designed around the experiences of people who identify as women or who have identified as women at some point, all are welcome.
FemSex creates a safe space that encourages students to learn about their bodies, explore sexuality & relationships, and expand their understanding of social and cultural influence and diversity. Topics will include: body image, gender identity, safe sex/reproductive choice, sex & sexuality, communication & consent, partnership & relationship.
- Day/Time: Tuesdays from 4:00pm-6:30pm
- Info Session: Tuesday, September 3, 2019
- Location of Info Session: Nell Dossett Residence Hall Room 206
- Start date: Tuesday, September 10, 2019
- Closed group – attendance to the info session and completion of application are required.
- Contact Kate Emmerich for more information: email@example.com
Campus Groups for Fall 2019
Outside the Box
A social group for neurodivergents, friends and allies. Bring your lunch.
- Day/Time: Fridays 1:30pm-2:30pm
- Location: Nell Dossett Residence Hall Room 103
Contact Mary Little for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
LGBTQ Stress & Coping Group
4-week support group addressing LGBTQ stress, coping, and community connectedness.
- Day/Time: Thursdays 6:00pm-7:30pm
- Cycle 1: September 12, 2019-October 3, 2019
- Cycle 2: October 17, 2019-November 14, 2019
To sign up please contact the BHWC at 423-439-7777.
Aligning, Support, Pride, Education, and Community for Trans Students. Open to all transgender or gender non-conforming ETSU students.
- Day/Time: Thursdays from 12:00pm-1:30pm
- Start date: Thursday, September 5, 2019
- Location: Nell Dossett Residence Hall Room 214
Contact Bethany Novotny for more information: email@example.com
A community of women who have overcome abusive situations.
- Day/Time: Saturdays 9:00am
- Location: 1425 East Center Street Kingsport, TN 37664
Contact for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org