- Services Provided
- Meet the Staff
- Make an Appointment
- FAQ and Myths
- Calendar of Events
- Self Help
- Helping Others
- Community Resources
- Alcohol & Drug
- THRIVE Suicide & Violence Prevention
- Division of Student Life and Enrollment Home
- Contact Us
In group therapy students meet together as a group to describe, discuss and learn from their problems under the supervision of a therapist.
- Many students are surprised to learn they enjoy group work as much if not more than individual therapy.
- Research shows that for many issues group therapy is just as effective as individual therapy.
Some of our groups require an intake screening first, while others are open. To learn more click the group below or email us at: ccoutreach.etsu.edu
Counseling Center Groups for Spring 2019
SMART Recovery Support Group
Nell Dossett Hall,
Understanding Self & Others
Nell Dossett Hall,
Nell Dossett Hall, Room 102
Men's Group.This group will provide a blend of traditional group counseling and experiential relationship building. Some group time will be spent facilitating healthy communication, listening and support among group members based on current struggles of group members. Other group meetings will be devoted to utilizing on-campus resources for outdoor adventure and team building. Topics discussed will include: cultural messages of masculinity; emotional intelligence; relationship skills; guilt and shame; vulnerability; anger; self-esteem/self-worth.
- Starts Friday, January 25, 2019
- Meets in Nell Dossett ResidenceHall, Room 102
- Open group, no interview required.
- For more information contact Eric Feltman: firstname.lastname@example.org
Understanding Self & Others. This group provides a safe place for personal growth by allowing students to engage in giving and receiving empathy, support and feedback. Concerns such as anxiety, stress, depression, self-esteem, body image, loneliness, grief, and trauma will be addressed. The group will help with fitting in, making friends, improving communication, dating/relationship issues, gaining more confidence and being more assertive. Members will also explore and challenge stereotypes and prejudices to increase understanding and connectedness. Discover you are not alone!
- Starts Tuesday, January 29, 2019
- Meets in Nell Dosset Residence Hall, Room 102
- Contact Dan Jones to join: email@example.com
SMART Recovery Support Group. A science-based self-managment and recovery support group fro students that seek to develop and strengthen skills for use in recovery from addictive behaviors. SMART can help with misuse or oversuse of alcohol and other drugs, gaming/technology, porn, overeating, gaming and other issues. For more information about the SMART Recovery model visit smartrecovery.org
- Starts Tuesday, February 5, 2019
- Meets in Nell Dossett Residence Hall, Room 102
- Contact Loren Biggs for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Other Recommended Campus Groups
Outside the Box. A social group for neurodivergents, friends and allies. Bring your lunch.
Fridays, 1-2 pm in Nell Dossett Hall, Room 103
Contact: Mary Little, email@example.com
Open Space. A support group for integrating and celebrating your identity as both LGBTQ and religious/spiritual. Snacks provided!
For Fall 2018, Fridays, 1-2P
(Except October 26.)
The Presbyterian Campus House, 1412 College Heights Rd.
Supported by PFLAG