Recruitment & Hiring
The Office of Human Resources maintains the university’s job posting and applicant management systems and related policies and processes designed to assist departments and search committees to recruit and select a qualified and diverse workforce. This page provides essential links to recruiting and hiring information.
Search Guides and Resources
The Guidelines for Filling Faculty, Administrative, and Clerical/Support Vacancies serves as a reference for departments and search committee members to that ensure legal and fair recruitment and hiring practices. Budgeted positions are posted and processed through the online eJobs system. Adjunct faculty, extra teaching assignments, graduate assistant and tuition scholar appointments are processed through the eContract system.
- Equal Opportunity Compliance/Affirmative Action Resources
- Recruitment and Hiring Toolkits
- Recruitment and Hiring Best Practices
Background checks are conducted on pending applicants according to the Background Check Policy and the Non-student Minors Policy. The appendices of this policy lists the types of positions that require a background check.
ETSU maintains a pool of applicants who have indicated their desire to work temporary assignments at ETSU. Applicants apply for temporary and PRN positions through the eJobs system and jobs are posted on www.etsu.edu/jobs. The pools close December 31 of each calendar year and applicants must reapply each year.
For access to the Temporary Staff Pool, contact Human Resources at HR@etsu.edu for the guest user login. From the posting Applicants tab, enter keywords in the Search box to search for applicants with specific skills. For a quick view of the applicants' skills and education, select the 'Temp Pool Search' from the Saved Searches button. Contact applicants directly to discuss qualifications and availability. Download the Temporary Hire Checklist for guidelines on submitting a temporary hire.
All pre-employment tests for ETSU positions must be administered by the hiring department after approval from the Office of Human Resources. The free tests listed below are available to departments; however ETSU is not responsible for off-campus site content.
- Typing Test, http://www.typingtest.com/
New Hire Onboarding
Helping new hires through the hiring process is the responsibility of the hiring department. Refer new employees to the New Employee Welcome webpage for information on the new hire orientations and a list of required paperwork.
In addition to the required Human Resources orientation, departments should conduct an orientation of the work area and an explanation of employee’s responsibilities and working conditions. The Department/Job Orientation Checklist provides the supervisor and the employee guidelines for reviewing departmental policies and procedures. When completed, the checklist should be returned by the new employee’s immediate supervisor to the Office of Human Resources for inclusion in the employee’s personnel file. A department orientation is mandatory for the Department of Facilities Management.
Search Guide Appendices
- Candidate Rating Form (.pdf)
- Evaluation of Oral and Written English Proficiency (.pdf)
- Reference Checks/Telephone Conversation Notes (.pdf)
- Historically Black Colleges and Universities (.pdf)
- Personal Contact Log (.pdf)
- Check List for Affirmative Action Procedures (.pdf)
- Advertisements Short and Long Examples (.pdf)
- Newspaper and Journal Listings (.pdf)
- E-mail Request to Certify Applicant Pool for Interview (.pdf)
- Sample Interview Schedule (.pdf)
- Pre-Employment Inquiry Guide (.pdf)
- Diversity Links (.pdf)
- Moving Expense Allowance Request Form (.pdf) FILLABLE
- Moving Expense AgreementDRAFT (.pdf) FILLABLE
- Search Committee Confidentiality Form (.pdf)