- Athletic News
- UH Gym Calendar
- Cross Country
- Senior Night Recognition
- Eighth Grade Night Recognition
- Eligibility Policy
- Coach Directory
- University School Home
- Contact Us
Welcome to University School Athletics!
Athletic Eligibility Policy
Mr. Dustin Honeycutt
Alexander Hall Room 109
Middle School Athletic Director:
Dr. Justin Penley
In order to meet TSSAA attendance guidelines (see below for a detailed explanation), spectators will be limited to parents, grandparents, guardians, and immediate household family members only who must be on a team list submitted prior to game day, which will limit the option of additional staff and fans to attend the games this year.
University School Sports Physicals. Reminder: All athletes must have an athletic physical each year. Physical Forms , Cardiac Arrest Forms, and Concussion Forms must be completed and on file with the school in order for the athletes to practice. This year, due to COVID, parents may scan and submit the required forms to this secure ETSU Dropbox Link. Coaches must also complete Coaches - Concusion Form,Coaches - Cardiac Arrest Form, and NFHS (https://nfhslearn.com/courses/covid-19-for-coaches-and-administrators).
Hello University School fans, supporters, and athletic events spectators:
As you are aware, circumstances related to the COVID-19 pandemic change on what seems
to be a daily basis. University School is supportive of students’ participation in
athletics, but we must strike a balance between that participation and the physical
well-being of our student-athletes. In order to provide the safest environment possible
for student-athletes as well as those attending events, we have adopted the following
guidelines based on a number of resources, including recommendations from TSSAA as
well as the Northeast Tennessee School Systems Scholastic Activities Return to Action
- Temperature checks are required for all coaches, players, and team personnel prior to every practice. Anyone whose temperature measures 100.4 or greater must be sent home immediately and may not return to participation until he/she provides documentation that they have tested negative for COVID- 19 or obtained a medical evaluation by a physician verifying that COVID-19 is not the cause of his/her fever.
- No coach, player, or team personnel may participate in practice or a contest without first completing appropriate COVID-19 screening, a set of questions assessing potential Covid-19 symptoms.
- At contests all coaches, players, team personnel, officials, administrators, and fans must have their temperatures checked before entering the facility. No one whose temperature measures 100.4 or greater may be admitted. Any coach, player, and team personnel refused admission under this regulation may not return to participation until providing documentation that he/she has tested negative for COVID-19 or obtained a medical evaluation by a physician verifying that COVID-19 is not the cause of his/her fever. For spectator screening areas, if a line forms or is anticipated to form, ensure 6 or more feet of separation between persons or household groups (e.g., ground markings and/or announcements).
- At each contest the following symptom checklist shall be posted prominently at the
spectator entrance(s) instructing that anyone who is experiencing any of these symptoms
during the preceding 7 days must not be admitted:
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Shaking chills
- Chest pain, pressure, or tightness with exercise
- Fatigue or difficulty with exercise
- Racing heart rate
- Unusual dizziness
- Loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
- Unusual rash or painful discoloration of fingers or toes
- The CDC recommends people wear face coverings in public and in other settings where they are around others who do not live in their households. University School will require face coverings/masks at all outdoor events where physical distancing of at least 6 feet cannot be maintained.
- Visiting schools will be responsible for their own temperature checks of participating teams, coaches and their team party prior to leaving their campus to travel to their opponent’s campus. The home team’s administration or coach should verify with the visiting team’s administration or coach that proper temperature checks have taken place. The home team shall not be responsible for conducting temperature checks of the visiting team party.
- Game officials should check with school personnel regarding procedures to have their temperature checked, dressing room availability, mask policies for officials prior to the contest, and other logistical questions 24 - 48 hours prior to their scheduled contest.
- Spectators are expected to follow all guidelines set forth at all contests and events. These could change from sport-to-sport and from location-to-location, depending on the venue, as well as protocols set in place by the hosts. Failure to do so may result in disqualification from the event.
- Community drinks will not be allowed (team coolers, etc.). Each athlete is responsible for his/her own drink at all practices and contests.
- Additionally, the following sport specific guidelines will be followed:
- Cross Country:
- Social distancing of at least 6 feet should be maintained at all times where practical. Hugging, shaking hands, fist bumps, etc. for support/encouragement is prohibited.
- Meets will consider using staggered, wave, or interval starts and a wider start line
if space permits. Starts will be prompt so runners are kept on the starting line
for as little time as possible.
- Pregame conference will be limited to head referee, head coaches from each team, and a single captain from each team. Social distancing during the conference will be observed, and handshakes will not take place.
- Players and coaches are encouraged to practice social distancing in the team box
- Maintain social distancing during substitutions
- Suspend the “World Cup” introduction line and send players to their positions for introductions, with bench personnel lined up distanced on the sidelines
- Fans will be required to proceed through a temperature/mask check before purchasing tickets to the event
- Bleachers will be marked for social distancing (very limited seating)
- Attendees are encourage to bring chairs/blankets to use on fan sideline. There will need to be 15 feet of distance between each family unit on fan sideline.
- Mask are expected to be worn at all times during the event.
- University School admin reserves the right to limit attendees at any time due to reaching max capacity, or if social distancing rules are not being observed by attendees.
- Golfers are required to wear masks anytime distancing is not being maintained, such as when warming up on the putting green prior to the match & during preliminary match meeting. Golfers may remove their masks once on their first tee box area and throughout the match. Golfers should re-apply his/her mask following the conclusion of the match while reporting his/her score
- Spectators strongly encouraged to maintain distancing while on the course and around others not of the same household
- Home matches at Pine Oaks Golf Course:
¨ The clubhouse/pro-shop is limited to a maximum of 5 people at a time, and face coverings are required while inside.
¨ Players will not exchange scorecards, instead each player will keep his/her own score and is encouraged to keep an unofficial count for group members as well.
¨ Bunker rakes are not available. Golfers are asked to lift, clean, and place their ball if in the bunker, and use their shoe spikes to “rake” and smooth the bunker following the shot.
¨ Flagsticks will not be removed during play.
¨ Golfers will not participate in the traditional handshake following their rounds.